ad: Radclub22-1

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK6XL

VK6XL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking forward to your correct dipole calculator, Onno. Allen VK6XL

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KN0JI

KN0JI Subscriber QRZ Page

And then multiply by the velocity factor. For 14 AWG stranded copper-ish stuff you get at Ham Depot, the VF is pretty close to 0.95, which will make 120.175 feet, or about 60 feet 1 inch per leg.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The 468/f formula already accounts for velocity factor, which is around .98 for insulated wire. The formula gets you "in the ballpark", there are FAR TOO MANY variables that are dependent on location, surrounding objects, height above ground, etc., to enable a precise calculation to be determined before the antenna is installed. Even then, changing environmental conditions, such as rain, snow, foilage on nearby trees, etc., will affect the antenna feedpoint impedance after it is installed. The only practical way to ALWAYS have a 1:1 match to an efficient antenna system is to use a tuner.

KN0JI and KA0HCP like this.
  4. KN0JI

KN0JI Subscriber QRZ Page

I stand corrected...you are right about the "468" already including the VF :

300 / 2 X 39.37 / 12 X 0.95 = 468 if the VF is about 0.95

Whenever I use the "468" rule, I nearly always end up further multiplying the result by 0.95 to get really "close" to 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 SWR. And that usually assumes a flat-top configuration, 20 feet in the air, no nearby obstructions, and Utah residential ground, and typical Utah humidity. There are other factors that affect the SWR, but these seem to be the biggest.

KR3DX likes this.