ad: dxeng

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by WA6MHZ, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back around last fall, the flood of ULTRACHEAP Chinese HTs started to hit stateside. They were so affordable that they sold like hotcakes. The first was a Baofeng UV-3R which had separate antennas for VHF and UHF even though it was dual band.

Then came the UV-3R MK2, which added a few nice features and those sold like mad.

I finally bit when they came out with a UV-3R+PLUS. It was a nice little HT, smaller than a hand.

But I had no sooner ordered the UV-3R+PLUS that they came out with a UV-5R, which not only was twice the power (4W instead of 2W) but also had a multicolor Display and Touchtone pad. It was so cheap I ordered one of those too. That way, my wife and I can keep in contact at DAYTON.

But today, less than a month from the debut of the UV-5R, now we have the UV-8R!
    This is labeled "RONSON", and looks exactly like a UV-5R. But it is good for 7W instead!

Lets see if I can find a pic of it.......
    Nope, just the video. They don't seem to be for sale yet (wait a day or 2).

It used to be YaeComWood would come out with a new HT every year, but the Chinese are coming out with a new one EVERY MONTH!!!!

Expect to see a UV-10R somewhere around late May or JUNE!

UV-12R???? UV-20R?????????

The hook is that some folks just gotta have the NEWEST, whizbang radio out even if they just bought one a few weeks ago. So the Baofeng company is keeping up with that demand.

WILL I get a UV-8R????

I have YET to even make a contact on the UV-5R or the UV-3R+PLUS! (other than talking from one hand to the other!)

Chinese Handytalkies!!!
  2. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Pat! I just picked up this little gem from AES, this past Saturday:

Alinco DJ-G29T

I wanted something with 220 capability, and when I asked what A.E.S. had with 222 FM capability, was told about Alinco's new DJ-G29T dual bander that does 222 & 900 Mhz (the first ham radio specfic transceiver offered for the 900 MHz). It was more than I wanted to spend, but the salesguy said the 900 word! We do have a 900 MHz repeater in the Milwaukee area, sooo, I paid more and bought it.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Ham Member QRZ Page

7 watts on high power, not bad for an HT. Certainly I would be interested in a cheaper HT if I needed to get a new one because of how infrequent I use an HT.
  4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to see the Chinese market a nice dual band mobile instead of a bunch of HTs...
  5. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

7 watts sounds better. The only reason I want an HT is for SATS. Let's see what the come out with after Dayton.
  6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm off to Minneapolis this week on business - I'll be taking my UV-3R Mk-II with me to see if I can scare up any contacts while I'm there.

Crazy how often they're updating though!
  7. WA7BBI

WA7BBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The UV-8R looks EXACTLY like the UV-5R, the only difference is the name plate. I just got the 5R and with a decent antenna it's pretty good. The receiver desenses like crazy in a high RF environment. I think I'd wait until some reviews come in on the 8R. The Chinese make some nice radios, have to admit it.
  8. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

well considering they prob steal the plans from yeacomwood
  9. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

They probably MAKE the Yaecomwood radios already, just like bikes are all made at the giant bicycle factory in China somewhere.

There is another clone, offered by Main Trading in Texas, looks like a UV-3, has an MTC nameplate and comes in 4 or 5 colors. Some in the local club have bought them, ~$50-60
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not in Minneapolis, but I think two of the most active repeaters up there are on 146.85 and 145.45. The .85 is a high level machine in Oakdale with many satellite receivers around the area. The .45 is in Minnetonka, and is home to many regular nets. Otherwise, scan VHF and UHF - you will find activity both places.

Speaking of Chinese radios, did you hear the big news out of Peking?

Baofeng bought out Wouxun. Now they will call their radios BaoWou's.

Oh, while you're there, take a few minutes to drive up to Radio City in Mounds View. It's not far off I35W. It's hidden in a little strip mall behind something else so a GPS is very nice to have, because you can't see it from the main road. They carry both Baofeng and Wouxun, as well as the big three Japanese rigs.
  11. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

My yeasu FT-2800 has a Made In China sticker on it.

73's and puzzled
  12. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

and people wonder why china is making HT's a mobiles now. and of course cheeper. since they do rely on slave labor.

any company that moves to china deserves to go under.

I myself refuse to buy anything made in china.
  13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to have one of those if it wasn't for where my money was going.
    I'm not fond of CFC radios.
    (Crap From China)
    So maybe there is an Alinco or an Icom in my future. (RFJ) Radio From Japan.
  14. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not really going to notice a significant difference on the sats with 5 Watts vs. 7 Watts. As with all (or almost all) things in ham life, a better antenna will allow better reception as well as increased transmitter ERP.
  15. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I know what I want for my birthday.
  16. W0HC

W0HC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's behind a Burger King. Nice place, been buying equipment from Dan and Maline since I got licensed in the early 90s. They're good people.
  17. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you like the DJ-G29T? I am very interested in buying one.

Jim N3AWS
  18. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy, buy, buy! I'm pretty sure this will be the last new Chinese model introduced.

Oh well, I'm still stuck with my FDC single band radios from couple years ago :( they do work well.
  19. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7w? 409shops site states 4w just like the uv5r, video says 5w, looks like the only difference is the name, similar to the Waacom they have. One thing I've noticed about the 5r's receiver is that it desenses really easily, picks up intermod, and is off on the receive frequency. I got the UV3r plus in yesterday, it seems to be a better radio overall, performance wise, through of course the casing on the UV5r is much better and has more features.

This lil fellow looks interesting.

20. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not all that confident about putting 7W of RF right next to my noggin. This is especially true on 2m, since the wavelength (~6 ft.) is about the length of a human body. Then again I spend lots of time soldering, so I'm sure that my IQ is heading downtown anyway.

73, Jordan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.