ad: QuirkyQRP-1

European hams announce NEW RADIO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0IU, May 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

European hams announce NEW RADIO – a dual-band, multi-mode radio to support DMR, D-STAR and C4FM.

On May 8th, an article appeared in the ÖVSV by Kurt, OE1KBC, about a new dual-band, multi-mode mobile radio called the “NEW RADIO” that will operate on the 2m & 70cm bands and support the most common ham digital modes, including DMR, D-STAR and C4FM (System Fusion), plus analog FM. As reported in the article, the NEW RADIO has been created by hams for the ham radio community will feature a colour touch screen display, 50W of power output, a 1.8 GHz processor, a Linux operating system, plus dual AMBE+ vocoders, allowing for full-duplex, cross-band operation.

Read the full artcle at:
    http://www.va3xpr.net/newradio-dual-band-multi-mode-radio/

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We will have to keep an eye on this and see how it compares to the DV4Mobile coming out of Europe, as well as the CS7000 if it makes it's appearance.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"New Radio"............Now there is a original name if I have ever heard of one.

If I ever start a company manufacturing muffler bearings I'm gonna name the company, "New Muffler Bearings".

Tom KH8/KC0W

K3RW, WA7PRC, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0RRS

N0RRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally...someone develops a radio capable of all three protocols, no more patent infringement crap from the BIG THREE.

NU4R and WD8ED like this.
  5. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It will only be a matter of time before a regulating body takes control of all 3 platforms and you will be paying to use the digital network.

NU4R likes this.
  6. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you do Scott to have your post 'moderated ' ??

JB

7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry Tom. We've already a nation wide strangle hold on this branding. Plus, we also specialize in the sales and support for metric AND imperial size falanges, chicken wing flavor ice cream and discount tickets to Walt Disney World.

8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure JB. I originally just posted the lead line and the link, but a moderator added the first paragraph.... for clarity sake I am sure.

9. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

W5LMM likes this.
  10. N0RRS

N0RRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not me because I couldn't care less about digital..analog works just fine for me.

11. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

If it works and I don't have to sell a kidney to afford it I don't care what they call it.

12. KI3Y

KI3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the same radio. (Or at least substantially the same.)

http://www.va3xpr.net/dv4mobile-2016-dayton-hamvention/

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to read both articles - it looks like it's the same group. The DV4Mobile is a triband radio, New Radio was announced as dual band. Of course, if you see the interview with the Austrian ham representative, it is designed to do about everything you can think of, and they expect a price between $900 and $1200 dollars. That no doubt sounds crazy, but for what it does, it's a bargain.

If you travel much, and don't already have multiple digital radios, you know how much fun it is to scan the band and hear a bunch of DV signals you can't copy. This radio, even at 20 watts, should eliminate that problem.

When you buy a new car, you suddenly notice all the other people with the same cars. I've recently acquired a DMR radio, and now I am noticing all the activity there.

KI3Y likes this.
  14. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The "New Radio" initiative was announced at the Ham Radio Event in Friedrichshafen Germany LAST YEAR. We are all waiting to see what progress has been made. A short article in the CQ DL magazine this month (page 46) suggests that progress has been slower than expected. The initiative was to try to convince the "Big 3" that's its time to update their designs as well as possibly an opportunity for a Chinese manufacturer such as Runbo to create the device described.
    May be we'll hear more at this years HAM RADIO on 24th. to 26th. June.

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful! I already have a company called "New Muffler BEarings".