ad: elecraft

ETH053 - Stealth Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5CLM, Jan 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode we talk about Stealth Antennas. Even with the new Amateur Radio Parity Act passing through the House in 10 day(!!), it still hasn't passed the Senate and been signed into law yet. Until then, how do you put antennas out side while your HOA says no?

We talk about some upcoming events/contests and hamfests for the next two weeks and wrap it up with news from around the hobby

http://www.everythinghamradio.com/podcast/53/

N4AXE, KE7BMG, K0PIR and 2 others like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have installed an inverted V with the center point balun supported under the eave of the highest point on my house down to a pair of 6' bird feeder stanchions. The dipole wires are short enough (40 and 20M) to require an insulator and rope to the stanchion. This keeps the antenna out of reach to the people who mow my yard. I actually hang bird feeders off the stanchions during the spring, fall, and summer months. My neighbors on each side of me noticed the wires but have not complained.
    I also have a 2m/70cm 5/8 vertical mounted on an expanded steel picnic table that has flown under the radar. I'm thinking about adding a 10M 1/4 vertical to the table also. Since the table is on my back yard patio it is not too visible except for my adjacent neighbors. Neither seems to be bothered as long as I avoid a structure. The bird feeder stanchions have certainly not raised an eyebrow...in fact other people use them for bird feeders.

KF4ZKU and W8VFM like this.
  3. W0JOG

W0JOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the necessity in the first place, it is to communicate, not impress, isn't it? If one wants to communicate from a restricted homeowners compound, why don't you put the energy and ability into antennas that communicate such as dipoles and like that? Not enough "impressing?"

An old ham, er. communicator.

4. KB0ZEN

KB0ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

good idea

5. KG4INO

KG4INO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KF4ZKU, N4GST and NU4R like this.
  6. W5ACC

W5ACC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

not to brag but i have 4 wires up . and i dont look for them to look pretty. just as long that they work..

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I find that my antennas are pretty because they work. It's very rewarding to stand out in your yard staring at an antenna, and knowing that it also breaks pile-ups. ;)

The neighbors think my antennas are pretty because they don't interfere with football broadcast reception. :cool:

AC7DD likes this.
  8. N0UDM

N0UDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in the country and can pretty much put up any antenna I can afford, but that's not the issue. I want functionality instead of visually impressive. I used some old buriable telephone cable that I scrounged from somewhere and strung it down the hill to my barbed wire fence, then twisted all the phone wire conductors together on both ends, clamped the wire to the top of the fence, then feed it with a single wire from a tuner. I work JT-65 to 17 countries on less then 10 watts on that fence and none of the neighbors has any idea why there is an electric fence sign on the fence. That fence apparently does quite well at moderate power for digital modes other than JT-65, as well. All that to say you can put out almost any wire, load it properly and make some impressive contacts if you just use your imagination.

K5CLM likes this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the HOA's around here have avoided the term "Antenna". Instead they refer to structures. So...putting up a ten foot pole to support a satellite antenna would draw some flak. Satellite antennas here must be mounted to your residence and not project above your roofline.
    Many wire antennas can be installed as long as you don't erect a supporting structure.
    I believe my bird feeder stanchions fly because they can't really support much weight beyond a bird feeder....and many people are employing them.
    My particular HOA gets specific about only the following structures:
    Basketball backboards and nets.....not allowed
    Flagpoles.....not allowed
    Any structure above your roofline...not allowed
    Clotheslines.....not allowed....unless a temporary structure

I have heard that some people (hams and others) have successfully questioned not allowing flagpoles as violating ones right to fly the American flag.
    Our HOA allows the flag to be flown from short poles mounted to the residence. I suspect this was done to allow the ban on flag poles.
    I'm living with the rules....but sure would like to get an antenna above roofline.

10. W5ACC

W5ACC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

good for you. i have 2.75 acres and no one lives close by. i can care less what anyone thinks what mine looks like . just as long that i am happy with them . and i ame very happy with what i have up. and as far as breaking pile ups. if they cant hear me on the first time no big deal. sooner or later they will.

N4GST, KE4GBH and VK5SFA like this.
  11. W5DPV

W5DPV Ham Member QRZ Page

thats very impressive.

12. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

If the new, watered-down version of the Parity Act gets passed in its present form, it would make Stealth Antennas illegal under FCC rules. One of the provisions of the proposed legislation directs the FCC to add a new rule under Part 97 that would require any licensed amateur living in a HOA Concentration Camp - oops!- I meant to say, on HOA-controlled property, to notify the HOA before erecting an outdoor antenna.

13. KF0MM

KF0MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have an HOA set of rules, you should read them carefully. Sometimes they say "ham antenna" or "ham equipment" instead of "amature equipment". You federal license does not say "ham" so you may have a good defendable out. After, you are challenged they may change the wording, but you will be able to defend anything already put up and therefore it would have to be grandfathered in. So, be sure of what you put up as you may not be able to change it later if it's grandfathered in. Also, if they say no antennas at all, and looking around you see various dishes, tv "air", scanner, or other types of antennas allowed, you may be on safe ground if you just put it up and wait for a challenge that may never materialize. Finally, I have yet to live anywhere that does not allow a flagpole, this can be a very easy and workable solution. For example, I now have a pvc flagpole with a screwdriver antenna inside, a flag flies 24/7. Inside the pole, the screwdriver I currently use is good 6 through 40 meters. A ground wire comes out the bottom and circles the entire property with several radials. Of course, your imagination can derive whatever solution works for you, but start first with a careful reading of the HOA.

14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone needs to create an antenna that is basically a trapped push-up dipole that, when retracted, rests in a gutter.

You could do the same with a vertical, off the corner of a gutter, I suppose.

15. VR2VAZ

VR2VAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    我使用這種方法來設置天線