ad: Halibut-1

Enigma Cipher Machine Special Event 2018

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N4UP, Sep 21, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a head’s up. The Enigma Reloaded ( Enigma Award ) ( annual ) special event is coming up.

Details at www.enigma-reloaded.it

Dates and Times --- Friday September 28 at 0700 UTC through Friday October 5 at 2359.

Objective --- To work Activating Stations. Each Activating Station is paired with a specific existing Enigma Cipher Machine.

Activating Stations ( On the list so far ):

D L Ø D M
    G B 3 R S
    K 3 C W O
    K 3 N E M
    W 3 A D O
    W 8 B I
    O Z 7 S K B
    P I 4 M R C
    P I 4 A D H
    I I 4 L N Z
    I I 4 O E R
    I Q 3 M P
    I Q 3 T N
    I Q 3 V E
    I Q 3 V O
    I Q 8 P Q
    I Q 9 M Q
    I Q Ø R M

Bands and Modes --- All HF bands 10-12-15-17-20-30-40-80-160 meters, in SSB, CW, and digital modes. No repeaters.

Spotting is allowed, but Activating Stations are not allowed to spot themselves, so please spot any that you hear.

Exchange --- Conventional RS or RST

Points and Multipliers --- 1 point for QSO with an Activating Station per day per band per mode. So you can work the same station multiple times, on different days, bands, and modes. Some stations may not work all modes. Multiply total valid QSOs by number of different Activating Stations worked. Activating Stations do not compete for ranking or award, but simply provide QSOs.

European Stations need a minimum of 16 valid contacts for Award Certificate. Non-European Stations need a minimum of 8 valid contacts for Award Certificate.

Some Activating Stations may have multiple operators in multiple locations working in shifts, e.g., the call sign K3CWO will be used by various members of the CWOps Club, on CW only.

I have signed up for two shifts with K3CWO and we are really looking forward to this special event.

2. N4UP

Just a reminder, the Enigma Award world-wide special event starts today and runs for a week.

3. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I pass this one by and wait for the Alan Turing Special Event.

K3XR likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

How could you tell if you were really talking to him?

5. W2AAT

I'd use the "New Math"!

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The movie was very good ...

K5VZD likes this.
  7. W2AAT

This guy was one of the fathers of modern day computing... I anguish over what they did to him. The guy saved thousands and what his fellow Brits did to him after the war.... well.... Crappy way to say thanks!!!! One can only imagine what he might have brought to the future if he had not taken his own life...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    N6RGR, K5VZD and K3XR like this.
  8. W2AAT

A followup.... When one looks at all the WW2 sunken ships off the shores of North and South Carolina, one can't help but wonder how many lives were lost due to that machine. Should we really be having special recognition of that technology which cost thousands of lives????? I would hope that radio time could be spent on better things.....

9. N4UP

"The Enigma machine is a piece of spook hardware invented by a German and used by Britain's code-breakers as a way of deciphering German signals traffic during World War II."

"German military texts enciphered on the Enigma machine were first broken by the Polish Cipher Bureau, beginning in December 1932. This success was a result of efforts by three Polish cryptologists, Marian Rejewski, Jerzy Różycki and Henryk Zygalski, working for Polish military intelligence.

"The first capture of a naval Enigma machine with its cipher keys from a U-boat was made on 9 May 1941 by HMS Bulldog of Britain's Royal Navy, commanded by Captain Joe Baker-Cresswell. The U-boat was U-110. In 1942, the British seized U-559, capturing additional Enigma code books."

"The fictional 2000 U.S. war film U-571 has no relation to this U-boat, but is very loosely based on the British capture of U-110 and her Enigma and cipher keys."

Sooooo. One could say the capture of the Enigma machine SAVED many lives.