ENG News Live Truck, Ham conversion w/35 foot mast

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG7LSD, Jun 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

SO, how did your Field Day outing go?

Here is a short YouTube video of the Vero Beach setup.

W4OT, Vero Beach Amateur Radio Club
    2019 Field Day activities

2. KG7LSD

KG7LSD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I had to abandon my grand ideas and visions, very quick. I came to conclusion that, I would not be able to take this on vacation and use like i had intended. I ended up switching some of my vacation days around, to be at home for field day weekend. But never made it on the air in the truck due to severe weather, lightning, and tornado warnings.

I've got some more hunting to do, i think there may be a new seal kit somewhere, but don't know which of the three trucks it was for. (im thinking its the one, that was given to someone to drive like a car.) lets just say the first, second , and third crashes (from the overhead beams) where not enough to keep them from parking where they wanted too.

I am getting a better idea and realistic idea about layout, gear, and space. I also have realized this is not a ENG/news truck any more and don't need to make it as such. Cable can be run each time to the antenna, pan/tilt, and other electronics. All i can see is it will get more weathering then use. so i've abandoned the coil around the mast and patch box and panel idea. this will also save a ton of money on raw cable for the pan & tilt, as it' requires at minimum 6 18awg or larger stranded conductors.
    The pan & tilt with the loop work good mechanically , though i do have to adjust the endstops. I'll very curious about how it's going to perform.

3. KF5NAJ

KF5NAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You will need the $100 for gas

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's almost certainly a Nycoil. Look carefully at the mast top end. They get brittle in the sun. Support is your friend. It's a royal pain pulling cables into one of those, and just nearly impossible to get them out. Look closely, the coax is probably LMR400.

Those are usually Quick Set pan/tilts and do +/- 45 degrees. And they're heavy. You may be better served with a ham type rotator and a mast mount. There should be enough wires in the Quick Set cable to run it.

BNCs make good patch panels as well and are a lot easier to deal with.

Replacing the mast seals is not difficult, but it does require that you remove the mast. Its a messy affair though. Check with Wil-Burt, but they used to specify a non-petroleum lubricant called LPS and its slimy and stinks to high heaven. I wouldn't worry about it unless it just won't stay up. There should also be an automatic blow-down in the air system, which should take care of any water whether accumulated through condensation or coming down with the mast.