ENG News Live Truck, Ham conversion w/35 foot mast

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG7LSD, Jun 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OH, Great... One message in and a good first reply from a highly respected and knowledgeable ham and some one just has to try to sharpshoot him.

Can we go one day without an argument?

No, I guess not: I forgot where we are. To the OP: checkout Alan's website. He knows what he's talking about. You will see what I mean if you go and look.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you help with this - what's wrong with this suggestion (remember, the guy said he was limited on money):

If the rig can display output power *and* SWR then you can forgo an antenna analyzer - I made do without one and did multiple tune-up tests on a number of different loops for six years before buying an AA.

Like the OP, a lot of us aren't made of money either, and making use of built-in "tools" the radio has stretches the budget.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

How small is a circle before it becomes a point? :)

Rege

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

When it is solid in the center. I think.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about this, and I concluded there's a lot to be said about using something that leaves a fat line when you work one of Mr Smith's charts.

It sounds silly but a crayon strikes me as just about the right width.

:)

Rege

7. KG7LSD

KG7LSD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am aware of the seal's and the other thousand things that have gotten neglected on this truck. I know that in the last two years i think i only saw it move twice. I just happened in to this, truck, and project. It wasn't planned and diffidently not in the budget. I'll save the Will-Burt info as they are the manufacture of the mast, and i will need to replace the seals.

So let me see if i can get this back on track and helpful to me.

**Please Remember, I'm single Dad with not much extra money (realistically lets say none) to dump in to this right now, but will come back and replace/upgrade things as i can.

***The other thing to think about is, I am wanting to use this for field day, and it coming fast!

question
    1. so-239 solder panel jacks. could i make a patch panel with these? do i need to be aware of any stray rf/noise or other things? Yes i would like some bulkheads, but its all money.

2. i'm not going to use the chassis for a return. i was wanting to ground all the equipment cases, to a ground buss but unsure, after researching i have several 120v outlets that are powered by the generator or shore hook up directly, then i also have a group of outlets that are powered through a inverter. there are also isolation transformers from the generator and shore power.

3. because of weather, the elements, and for ease i was thinking of installing a small patch run of 3-7 feet. just to a roof mounted panel and inside the truck to another panel. so the thought is if i have to replace any of the cables it will not be the what ever i have in the truck plus the coil on the roof mast. will there be to much loss in this? should i just do 2 cables instead of three and use a barrel so i still have the same gen idea?

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how well they would work. They are most likely 75 Ohm. Made for Video.

9. KG7LSD

KG7LSD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am referring to this 50 ohm so-239 connector? https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-112-kit
    if i used these type and kept the exposed soldered length a smallest possible, installed in a panel for patching sources and destinations, or would i be better to do some temp runs for now and field day then comeback and install bulkheads, like https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-uhf-fdfb-kit or https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-363-sst

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

EASY Prioritization of your tasks, these will like Cost more than your estimate.
    Broadcast Radio and TV stations refer to helicopters and Mobile Vans as “Money Pits”.

1.) Assure that truck is operationally safe and reliable (brakes, lights, engine, etc.).

2.) Service the telescoping mast, so that it is reliable and safe.

3.) KNOW “How To” Properly Operate (lift/drop) Mast.
    YES ... I have seen a crew begin to leave a parked position with the Mast still extended !!

4.) Brush Up on your Situation Awareness Skills (taught by Military & Intelligence Community). Important for Van placement and the Antennas supported by Telescoping Mast.
    That southern California TV crew did not — and telescoping mast contacted a HV power line.
    ==
    The reminder of your Questions are NOISE, you won’t know your requirements until Field Day.
    These Broadcast Vans were designed for Flexibility of the Mobile TV Studio Link.

Perform NO Major structural or wiring changes. You are still in the PLANNING Stage.
    You State that Money is Tight ... THEN Don’t Throw It Away, at this Stage. 90% Planning.
    Operate the Van (with #1 and #2 completed) for your Field Day,
    take NOTES of what is NEEDED and the NICE to HAVE.
    The “Mast Seals” (Rubber/Plastic composition, Thickness, and
    Diameters (O.D. / I.D.) are required for Proper and Safe operation.
    IF money is your “top criteria” rather than Mfg. Seal Factory Spec. —
    THEN you really can’t afford this “luxury-style” telescoping mast.

Will-Burt Service/Repair Center for Washington and Oregon.
    The Washington location handles Broadcast products,
    while the Oregon location handles Fire Fighting products.

Speedy Hydraulics
    E. Sommerset Drive
    Spokane, WA 99217
    509-710-2495

Hughes Fire Equipment
    910 Shelly Street
    Springfield, OR 97477
    800-747-6510 (toll-free)
    541-747-0072

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    KJ4VTH and K3UJ like this.