EMERGENCY TECH TO HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KH8AC, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, you just need to remember V=IR. 8th grade algebra should take care of the rest. :)

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, #5 is very relevant.

At the time the 'no code Tech' license was created, the repeaters were always busy, if you were anywhere near a metro area. It seemed like a good idea at the time, the number of new Novices was dwindling rapidly, and a new Tech would be able to enjoy the booming FM repeaters.

Well, the boom has fizzled. You can still find a QSO if you use some kind of repeater linking to expand your coverage area, but it's a lot more work than it was. For too many new Techs, this is a dead end. The only thing that keeps you interested in something is success. The proposal seeks to improve the success of newbies.

WD4IGX and WU8Y like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If they aren't willing to spend $150 on a decent handheld radio why do we think they would be interested in stringing a wire up and spending $300 on a used HF radio?

K0UO likes this.
  4. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd flip that around.

If you're not interested, you're not going to be successful.

The proposal does not seek to improve success. It seeks to improve interest.

The success part is up to the individuals, if they are interested.

NL7W likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

dumbass.jpg

Bless their hearts!!

K1OIK, KA4DPO, KQ0J and 2 others like this.
  7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on the area. Around here you can usually find someone to talk to. I wasn’t around for the boom, so I can’t really compare.

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This has been my experience over the years for the techs wanting to upgrade: If they are having trouble passing the test, when they keep trying and then pass, they make the best amateurs later on.

I have help many over the years.

Out of the ones that just memorize the questions, very few of them ever make good operators, or even upgrade. Even with help they never successfully get on the air or stay on the air. And I have seen many other experience amateurs help these people, they have had the same reaction. It's hard to help or educate somebody when they were just given a piece of paper.

However the ones that had a more difficult time, but really wanted to get the license, try learning Hands-On and eventually get upgraded and become successful operators.

Ham radio maybe a hobby but it could also could become a career path into Technology and Engineering.

But nowadays even in Little League
    Baseball, everybody tends to get a trophy.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes, the typical whining about "participation trophies."

K1OIK likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about participation trophies myself