ad: k1jek

EMERGENCY TECH TO HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KH8AC, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W4KVW and AD5HR like this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations on your upgrade accomplishments and I hope you do well with your Extra exam goal also. Always nice to have folks who take the time to study joining into the ranks. I was poking fun at the entire ARRL process of recruiting membership numbers, I apologize if I have offended you or your efforts moving forward. Many years ago when I upgraded and moved thru the process I felt similar to how you feel now. It was less of a welcoming than I had hoped for. For those newer Amateurs who take the time to study and move forward it is unfair to compare their efforts with those who simply receive a automatic upgrade mostly seen as a membership and numbers drive by the ARRL. More is not better, quality is better. Well done sir, 73 Rich

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    KK4RZM and K8BZ like this.
  3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is that, if you're going to go out might as well do with something you enjoy. But that stuff is really burning the candle in the campfire.

W4KVW likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In a way, that is not surprising. 40 years ago, solid state devices (at least for the "common person" were still a pipe dream or in their infancy. The technology was still "hollow state," and the tests reflected that. Satellite and EME were still so esoteric that they were not covered in the exams. IF "ye olde" hams have not kept up with the CURRENT technology, as well as current Rules and Regs, then yes, they MAY have a problem with today's exams.
    But t least SOME of the questions are about the immutable laws of physics. Ohm's Law (to MY understanding) has not changed, as an example. (Then again, our club had a potential "instructor," who down-played Ω's Law, saying "there's only a question or two " on the Tech exam about Ω's Law; "they can get those wrong and still pass."
    He didn't pass muster as an instructor for (at least) OUR club.:rolleyes: YOMV, YMMV.

K4KYV likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I mean how hard can this basic simple concept be to memorize, understand and master exactly?

ohms-law-triangle-with-formulas.jpg

It's not exactly like you're trying to understand how to do integral calculus or something...

calculus.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    K0UO, W4KVW and KA4DPO like this.
  6. WA9SVD

That was my point, exactly! Thanks.

W4KVW and KC8VWM like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK.....but I suggest you do some research on your own.

Technicians have had access to parts of 80, 40, and 15 meters for decades. The problem is that their privileges below 28 MHz are CW only.

Why not check the actual numbers and know the facts?

There's a thread over on Eham in the licensing forum that chronicles license numbers for decades. Many old Callbooks are online. Hamdata.com lists numbers too (but their numbers include expired-but-in-the-grace-period licenses). AH0A has a site....

Many amateurs today don't make a big splash, but they are active nonetheless. I haven't been to a club meeting or hamfest, nor on a repeater, in years - but I'm quite active on the air.

Nope, nope, nope, sort of. Your history is so far off it's amazing.

PLEASE do some research into what actually happened. The story is very different from what you seem to think.

First do some history...

This past weekend was Field Day. The team I was part of made over 900 QSOs on 40 CW. On other bands, they made about 2000 CW QSOs. I'm pretty sure our CW QSOs outnumbered those made using all other modes.

Pretty good for "obsolete"

Is the Extra test that severe a task?

WU8Y and KU4X like this.
  8. WA9SVD

I'm not sure what you refer to as an "automatic upgrade." The FCC hasn't done that, at least NOT since just post WW II. There HAVE been some changed (additions AND deletions) of privileges have occurred, but actual upgrades are seldom if ever granted. What MIGHT be seen as an "upgrade" was when Techs licensed before a certain date (when the code speed for General was lowered) and licensed at a time when the Tech AND General written tests were the SAME, were "grandfathered," with due proof and paperwork, were issued a General license. THAT was because they had already completed the requirements for General at the new time. But it was NOT "automatic," and proof of taking the same written as Generals had to be provided. That was not technically an "upgrade." Some (OLD) Techs qualified as they had the SAME requirements as Generals at new time.

9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I am referring to the potential HF privileges upgrade requiring no effort. 73 Rich

W4KVW and KA4DPO like this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, when people talk about the horrors of the questions being published, and people simply memorizing the answers, I always think to myself, what would be harder:

1. Learning the three formulas, and bringing along a calculator if you're not good at math.
    2. Memorizing a bunch of facts such as, "if you get the question with 6 volts and 2 amps, the answer is 3 ohms."

Frankly, I'm not smart enough to do the memorization, so I just learned the formula.

KC8VWM, W9RAC, AD5HR and 2 others like this.