EMERGENCY TECH TO HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KH8AC, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2QET

KD2QET Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new Ham and a Technician, I'm actually happy with the portions of the spectrum I can use, and how I can use them.

If this isn't the prevalent attitude among licensed Technicians... well, it wouldn't be the first time I was called "weird." I play on the satellites, am starting into EME (slightly higher "price of admission" but receive-only is more a technical puzzle than a cost issue) and digital modes, and when propagation falls into place, work whatever 10m and 6m will allow.

I'm going to upgrade, but the broader phone privileges with General probably won't make much difference to me. I'm learning Morse and will likely stay with CW as my "primary" HF mode.

I am admittedly a sample of exactly one. I'm joining the hobby later in life than many (most?) and that may color my interests. But anecdotally, I was talking to a small group of teenagers recently who were ALSO learning Morse. So, in my limited wanderings, there seems to be hope for amateur radio as a hobby in its own right and not a "means" to another hobby.

WD4IGX, N1DQQ and KA0HCP like this.
  2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Coconut oil...that stuff will kill you.

3. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I know three old time Extra class hams, at least 40 years being a ham that looked at the Technician and General tests and didn't think they could pass them. Two of them are VEs.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That seems more of a commentary on the state of a few old-time hams, than on the difficulty level of the current tests.

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, we used papyrus scrolls and sheeps blood on sharpened sticks.:) If you weren't a green bean noobie you would know that.:D

WD4IGX, KI5X, KC8VWM and 2 others like this.
  6. KA0E

KA0E Ham Member QRZ Page

If there were half as many word on the air as are on this post, there would be something to listen to on the bands. O.P. has a good point.
    Too many guys posting and not operating

7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Yikes, I rode an Pirogue pulled by Alligator to my Elmer's House, the other ham grilled me in French and English in Code (Had to spell Bouillabaisse, Tchoupitoulas, Zydeco and Boudreaux in code) and demonstrate salt water resistivity and this was just for a Novice Ticket.

I had to ride my air Boat to New Orleans just take the General, had to find Tchoupitoulas Street to find the FCC Man and then wait outside in 95 degree heat for dem to open de Federal Building.

I was smart, me, I knew Ohm's Law wasn't enforced by de game warden!

WD4IGX, N4BC, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

In short all it is in truth is the ARRL is DESPERATE for membership dollars & they think that if they can get this stupidity passed then many of those happy Technicians will join their club & put some much needed dollars in their pockets.Last stat I saw showed that approximately 21% of the Licensed Amateurs in the United States are members of the ARRL.If so it is very obvious that the vast majority don't feel that they are doing anything worthy of their membership dollars & I agree.I hear the lame excuse that the ARRL is our only voice & feel if that is really so then we have No Voice already. The ARRL is a Lame Excuse for anything much less an organization that has the best interest of Amateur Radio in mind.Small children pass the General & Extra Class tests every week yet full grown adults want more band usage for FREE? Anyone who takes the time to study can pass the test if that is truly their desire.It will not motivate anyone to upgrade it will just make those portions of those bands busier & those who already had interest in upgrading will still do so & those who had no interest will not.The sooner the ARRL is a Dead Horse the better off we will all be & that 21% can then save a few dollars for something important.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KD1W and K1OIK like this.
  9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

We are all going to die from something so it may as well be something GOOD! Don't want to be laying in that expensive box & everyone standing over you talking about how how you died from Nothing. LOL ;)o_O

Clayton
    W4KVW

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So... I'm still waiting to see if anything new is going to be said.

So far, just the same old, tired arguments from different folks. That at least is new. Just wait until the real blowhards show up.