ad: QSKLLC-1

EMERGENCY TECH TO HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KH8AC, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This has been in the works at ARRL for two years, and has been beaten to death in the forums repeatedly since last fall. Hardly an "emergency".

K0UO likes this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Burt, Just to bring you up to date: While you were on hiatus, this subject came up a number of times with no resolution. Things got very heated at times as so often happens here and the moderators had to close a number of threads.

That is probably the most relevant explanation as to why some of the members are using levity to divert the subject. We've heard it all before and not that long ago.

K0UO likes this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not real butter. It's coconut oil with a butter flavoring added to it.

4. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few observations...

Passing the Technician license is easy; and purchasing a VHF/UHF radio can be done very cheaply. Which is to say, becoming a ham requires little time and little money.

The lack of activity by many of those Technicians suggests that many were/are not motivated by the general interest in radio that most of us think about when we hear "amateur radio." Communities like preppers, 4-wheelers, backpackers, and others have promulgated the use of VHF/UHF radios to support those activities. By and large, those communities have little interest in ham radio outside those activities. They see radio as a tool, not as a hobby.

Passing the General license is not much more difficult than Technician. But HF - the radios and the antennas that come into their own with that license - are considerably more expensive than that $25 Baofeng from Amazon. HF requires commitment and engagement.

It's not a spectrum challenge. But the ARRL is a pretty clumsy organization. They wouldn't know that.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the urgency is a political one -- for a small number of people to look like they are "doing something." The upgrade itself is painless and easy for those who are interested.

WD4IGX, WE4B, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

cracker jack license.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    KQ0J, NL7W, WS4JM and 3 others like this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then simply say that to him as he rarely posts rather than mock him with the popcorn comments. He gets the courage to post something that bothers him and he gets minimized. I teach 9 years old's never tell a joke at someone else's expense.

K4KYV likes this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it's urgent, but there's a problem right now. We explain to new people that Amateur Radio is a great hobby, and that they can bounce signals off the ionosphere and have them land all over the world. Some of them think that sounds great, so we tell them about the upcoming class to get the license.

They study for the test, either by learning some interesting stuff (in other words, the easy way) or by memorizing a bunch of stuff (the hard way). Either way, they pass the test with little difficulty. At that point, someone directs them to where the Baofengs are sold, or maybe they get pointed to where they can get a really nice Yaecomwood FM rig. Then, they get on the air, and talk to the same handful of people over and over on the local repeater. Or, they use their new radio to connect via the internet and talk to people all over the world. Either way, it dawns on them that they're not really bouncing anything off the ionosphere. The same handful of people on the repeater get boring, and they also realize that the contacts they're making around the world could be just as easily done via the internet without a radio. They get bored and they give up. If I had only a Baofeng and engaged only in those activities, I would also get bored.

One way or another, this needs to change. As far as I can tell, there are two ways to change it. The first is to have the FCC change the rules, so that the first test they pass allows them to immediately start bouncing signals off the ionosphere. If they bounce signals off the ionosphere, they won't get bored.

If that doesn't happen, then we need to do things differently. Instead of having one-day classes where people can get their Technician license, have a two-day class where people can get their General. After they pass, steer them toward something that can be used to bounce signals off the ionosphere. That can currently be done in the form of cheap digital transceviers for a hundred bucks or so. Let's make them the new Baofeng. They already have a computer, so it will be relatively easy for them to plug in their new transceiver, toss some kind of marginal antenna in the back yard, and start making digital QSOs. If they are interested, and many of them will be, then they can think about upgrading to 'phone.

WD4IGX and WZ7U like this.
  9. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is the coconut oil they used to use.

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm apparently an idiot because I actually studied for hard to pass both tests.
    I've been working on taking the extra test for quite a while trying to learn the material and I've spent some money on books to study. And whodathunk all I really needed to do was buy a box of Cracker Jacks.
    Of course, I'd expect anyone who's been a hAm for decades to think the information is easy. No doubt their test was far more difficult having to use an abacus and write out calculations with a quill pen by oil lamp.:rolleyes:

KI5X, NL7W, KK4RZM and 4 others like this.