ad: elecraft

Emergency Communications in Oregon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve dealt with various government agencies for decades, so I’m leaning toward the problem being with the government, and not with Mr. Van Der Hyde. That is a guess, because more details would be needed. Sometimes you bang your head into the wall long enough that finally you have to say this is crazy.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Wanna see something really interesting? The official website of the Oregon EMCOMM group is www.W7OEM.org... if you go there and click "translate page" (Google Chrome) you'll find you're at "Thinning Hair Woman" in Chinese :oops:o_O:eek:

Really a disorganized group it seems - they let their own callsign domain lapse???!!!

Dave
    W7UUU

thinning W7OEM.JPG

thinning hair woman.JPG

K2NCC, WB7OXP and AF7EC like this.
  3. N7ONP

N7ONP Ham Member QRZ Page

Follow the link from the original opb.org article, and you will find a joint statement from OEM and ARRL.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. K8DHH

K8DHH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also with N9DWE, show up, do the best you can, document what needs to be fixed. People might not be happy with the write-up but at least it won't burn bridges.

NX6ED likes this.
  5. KR4AW

KR4AW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe Hyde gave that excuse. Did he need a week notice?? I don't think emergencies give advance notice. Very embarrassing .!!!

NX6ED likes this.
  6. KD5GIV

KD5GIV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I was going to sale, when does an earthquake give notice it's about to happen?

NX6ED likes this.
  7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"All this" began when the likes of this began YEARS ago when Ham Radio became A HOBBY and left behind anything and everything that WAS...The Amateur Radio Service. As one standing right smack in the middle in the aftermath of Super-Storm Sandy on the barrier islands and in and around Toms River, NJ with an incredibly over-done war wagon on wheels of communication equipment, about THE ONLY method I was able to get a message through back to Florida was through the Maritime Mobile Service Net! (ALWAYS...THANK YOU Rooney 6Y5RP)

THAAAT'S right right folks! I had to connect with JAMAICA to get messages through...because there wasn't a local emergency network to be heard! Nice job coastal NJ and NY hams! (NOT)

My point here as a once EC and AEC in Central Florida, emergency preparedness and ESPECIALLY as it relates to the once highly disciplined and TRAINED of the Amateur Radio Service and it's once dedicated operators, it's no wonder WE are punch line to a bad joke when it comes to those who once considers us as a resource...instead of a nuisance...in the midst of a first responder event. Is it REALLY true cliche? "Ham Radio Operators. Getting in the way of First Responders for over 100 years!"

Quite possibly so in my opinion!

Grasp it fellow hobbyists! Arrogance KILLED the radio star!

That, and the extraordinarily reliable digital technology that works for the masses in times of need!

8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW! CERT programs and their agenda of serving those within arms reach, like their own neighborhoods and subdivisions, deserve more respect and attention than...the likes of those within the ARRL EMCOMM RUSE and perpetuating the BIG LIE of the now HONEST worth of us "hobbyists!"

Same to you...

NU4R

9. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

It would appear that once again a small minded, officious fool oversteps his bounds and causes problems for amateurs everywhere. K7vv needs to be replaced due to his serious error in judgement.

Rob

10. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

"volunteers were not given enough time to prepare "
    When I read that, the immediate question that came to mind, is how long do you need to prepare when your needed right then... Like when the SHTF for whatever reason.
    I thought those HAMs was suppose to be like Boy Scouts, always prepared.

"All this began when the likes of this began YEARS ago when Ham Radio became A HOBBY and left behind anything and everything that WAS...The Amateur Radio Service"
    Even though I am not a HAM, in the years that I have followed what is going on, I have noticed a change also.
    Ham Radio to me was suppose, and still is to me, to be about pushing the envelope, not just chit-chat.

11. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect the reason is not due to obsolesces of ham radio in a digital world but bad management in ARES. My friend application for ARES was rejected by the local group for unknown or trivial reason.

12. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think part of the problem is HAM radio going to digital comm. too far off topic from OP to really post.

As far as ARES, and the other one, I thought about joining up when I get my station online.
    But then really having seconds thoughts. The OP post, along with other posts elsewhere just seem to turn me away.
    Would like to think that I could do some good out there.

13. W7WPR

W7WPR Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K6OH

K6OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing... What is the MISSING part of the story?? If the equipment was in disarray with no time to prepare that is the perfect time to do a drill so you can find the faults and have the fixed or at least pointed out.!!!!!
    There has to be more to the story!!!! We are not getting the whole story or we are getting a BS story

15. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with most people on this subject. sounds political. I know most armature radio people can broadcast with any radio using a bed spring as an antenna.
    Give me some wire any type, I'll make A resonate antenna .
    It's good to get thrown into the fray, see how good you are. You will not have pre warning when a disaster strikes. COME ON OREGON.