Eliminating noise on vlf

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N4AEQ, Jul 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's summer and noise is bad now, but I have it all year long. I have several vlf receivers & use my 160m dipoles as a receiving antennas for 630 & 2200, they are on separate feedlines N/S and E/W. Noise it tolerable
    on 160m but starts to pickup at the AM band and increases as I drop. Years ago I could easily pickup LF AM brodcast stations from Europe in the winter, this past year noise was so bad I gave up. What can I do to fix this? Now For now I am interested in receive only antenna/setup.

2. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Try looking into a magnetic loop receive antenna. DX Engineering has one for under $300.00. It is possible to build your own but special care must be taken to design and build the preamp for this type of antenna. BTW.....
    MF 300 KHz to 3,000 KHz
    LF 30 KHz to 300 KHz
    VLF 3 KHz to 30 KHz
    Tom WA4ILH

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

If you’re really interested in low noise antennas for the lower frequencies, you may consider picking up a copy of “Receiving Antennas for The Radio Amateur” by Eric Nichols, KL7AJ. Eric addresses a number of low noise antennas in an easy to ready style. Available from the ARRL book store. (no, I am not a salesman for KL7AJ or the ARRL)
    Tom WA4ILH

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I know it's summer and noise is bad now, but I have it all year long. "

Are you living next to an electrical substation or an aluminum smelter?

If no, then there might be hope for you, if you can find specific 'noise sources' in your neighborhood. The use of direction antennas (like a vertical rx loop) can provide some relief, since terrestrial ground-wave emanating sources can be nulled.