Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I built my K3 as a "kit".

I suspect that a real kit with a few empty boards and a big bag of surface mount components would not end well.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't even START well!!
    Whats all that dirt on the floor??
    Oh Dang! I knocked over a bag of surface mount components!!

N0NB and W4CDO like this.
  3. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like building a computer these days? ;)

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I always liked the IC781, I remember that being the "dream radio" of the late 80's / early 90's. I had the opportunity to use one at ARRL HQ at the guest station and it was a delight to use. Despite all the knobs, switches and buttons on the front panel it was not difficult at all to figure out how to use and it sounded great.

The K4 looks pretty cool, I figured it was a matter of time before they came out with a full color display. I imagine the price tag will be up there. I like that there will also be a future vhf/uhf module. I've got other financial priorities at the moment but in a few more years I'm going to want to replace my old 746 pro..

NL7W likes this.
  6. M0OIO

M0OIO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had both the IC7300 and the P3; the P3 is significantly better, its all about how you set it up.

7. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I assembled my K3 and enjoyed it enough that I'd be willing to wait a few extra months for the K4 kits to come out. I think it took several hours to assemble the K3, but that was just taking my time and enjoying unwrapping and examining all the parts... you know, the thrill of "unboxing", except there are lots of little boxes and packages to sort through. It's really no different than a Heathkit, except no soldering; you don't have to know anything about electronics to do it; just follow the instructions. Also you can save $100 or two on the price maybe.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    N4FZ, N0NB and WB5THT like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl,

Going back decades, the TS-590SG's typical numbers are MUCH BETTER than the greatest majority of earlier 14 Vcc radio amplifying sections.
    Can you agree, or are you going to deny that?
    Geesh...

And speaking of IMD measurements, I have found measured considerably worse two-tone TX IMD measurements (very low 20's) in both Harris and Rockwell-Collins commercial and military HF gear. In fact, I brought it to Rockwell-Collins' attention through USAF channels. Been there and done that. It's been a pervasive issue... and it got me nowhere to bring it up.

Next...

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Good try but what does that have to do with Electraft? Do you consider your K3S Top Of the Line among all brands?

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And I have a TS-950SD which is still considered a top performer and still in demand.

K8AI likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.