Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the The "Flex" radios rely upon a computer, do they not? And when (not if, but WHEN) Microshaft goes beyond Windoze 10, will it still be supported? Or ANY operating system, (Windoze, LINUX, etc.) have support, and just WHO will support it, and for how long? I still use transceivers built even before computers were commonplace (DOS 3.2 or earlier come to mind) that would be mere doorstops if they relied on a computer, yet they are still totally functional. Can THAT be said for the FLEX offerings 10 or 20 years down the road?

ND6M likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Using a flex 30 years from now may be a challenge without a 30 yr old PC. . . if I were to box up my 7610 and stow it in the attic for the next 30 years, my grandson could pull it out, plug it in, and it would work! Just like my grandpa's hallicrafters receiver that languished in his garage for 30 years before i found it, plugged it in, and got hooked on short wave. Good luck doing the same with a flex.

3. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

As a dual-K3 SO2R op I would like to know that too :) I will not be able to afford two K4's!

I notice there is only one "Key Out" jack, so it looks like the K4 can't easily be integrated into most current SO2R stations which have two separate amplifiers.

Tor
    N4OGW

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14 Vdc amps can be modestly good. For example, take the currently manufactured Kenwood TS-590SG:

Third-order intermodulation distortion (IMD): 100 W PEP, 3rd/5th/7th/9th order:
    –31/–38/–48/–55 dBc (worst case, 10 m);
    –42/–38/–48/–58 dBc (HF, typical);
    –41/–38/–50/<–60 dBc (50 MHz).

Those are good numbers. :)

Reference: ARRL Prod_Rev_0715.pdf

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im glad you returned to reality at the end of that statement:D There are several portable friendly radios already on the market and I doubt the K4 would be very rugged in many of those environments.

K8AI likes this.
  6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do have a Maestro that doesn't depend on my computer. :) (though it is a computer itself)

That said, it's a very real question.

7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that means it's available as a kit the way the K3 was available as a kit....meaning not really a kit at all, just a little assembly.

8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

To each their own, of course :) I'm a huge fan of "top of the line," from 20 years ago...

WD4IGX, K8AI and KM1H like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have the IC781 I bought in the early 90s and couldn’t agree more.

KB2FCV and K7MH like this.
  10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently added a TS-950SDX to my collection. Superb radio and a joy to operate with. It was so sad when Kenwood got rid of the fluorescent displays.

KM1H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.