Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That PDF says it is available as a kit.

It sure looks nice. I don't think I'll be spending the money to replace my K3, I'm more into QRP kits these days but ... if I was going to upgrade, this would probably be it.

N4FZ likes this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I predict $10K

K8AI likes this.
  3. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

160-6 operation on 3 of 4 antenna outs. 4th reserved for VHF/UHF. Hmmm.

4. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I think about it, I did see a figure, much lower than that, but as I don't know about confirmation I'll keep mum.
    What I'm more curious about is what impact it may have on K3 price.

N5PAR likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect it will have some impact on the used marketplace, but as for the price from the factory, I can't recall an instance when the introduction of a new Elecraft product caused Elecraft to change the retail price of an existing product.

If someone can fill in for my failing memory, please do so.

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I was thinking. You will never get the latest and greatest form elecraft for $3k.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, looks promising, I guess we'll see!

The K3S is already a top performer, I doubt the K4 going to blow anything out of the water. I'd guess it's to appeal to the folks who must have a SDR display built into the rig, which is definitely nice, but doesn't make it perform any better. I'd venture it's a move to capture more market share more than anything else.

Then again, people upgraded from the K3 to the K3S, which I never understood. I have a 10 year old K3, and I put in the updated synth and it scores within a few dB of the top radio on the Sherwood list (the new Yaesu), not bad for a radio I bought 11 years ago now. I doubt the K3S price will change much, if at all - it's still a top performer and if you don't want bells and whistles. It's also better suited to portable operations - Field Day, DXpeditions, battery operations, etc.

With the multiple antennas, maybe it'll do some more fancy RX tricks in FPGA's - I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Wow, we sure have some amazing choices! :) If I was in the market, the new Yaesu and this radio (depending on price, I assume the performance will be there) would be on my short list!

N4FZ, N0NB and N0TZU like this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really understood this sentiment. A top of the line Flex is (6700) is $7500. Icom 7851 is $12,500. Kenwood 990 is $6200. Yaesu FTdx-101D is $4k.

9. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.dxzone.com/elecraft-k4-new-product/

No other high end radio has these options.

KAT4 ATU

The KAT4 ATU has a nominally 10:1 matching range. It includes 3 antenna jacks,
    any one of which can be selected as an input for one or both receivers.

Internal VHF/UHF module (future option)

An expansion slot is reserved for a high-performance VHF/UHF module, with
    output of approximately 15 W. This module will support all modes.

Probably be a GPS unit and tracking too....

Competing w/ the 9700 too.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    N4FZ likes this.
  10. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to picking up one on Craig's List for $400.00 in about 2035;)

N0NB, WZ7U, WA5VHU and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.