ad: M2Ant-1

Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

2. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding tariffs, the news yesterday carried the phrase "new Long March" so China is digging its heels and waiting this out. Elecraft will now probably have a better idea on pricing. They can always look for other fabs for the impacted components. With a couple year wait it may be worth considering. But regardless of the final price, I've heard first day orders were brisk, so maybe tariffs don't matter as much as we think.

NL7W likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to ham radio magazine for November 1985. The above article begins on page 13.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-DX/Ham Radio/80s/Ham-Radio-198511.pdf

Modular design. Runs on 28 volts DC. 30 watts PEP on 75.

And there's more!

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ham_Radio.htm

has every issue of ham radio magazine from the first issue (Feb 1968) to the last (June 1990) in PDF. Free download or read online.

W4PG, W7UUU and N2SR like this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not used the k4 but have over a year on the 7610 - it is well worth the price - and so far, given the advertised specs of the k4, i could not justify the additional cost

5. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get Both :)

For me I would go with the K4 simply because I've had good experiences with their customer service.
    If there is an issue I can either have them send me a new board or send it in for repair.
    Also Elecrafts radios tend to have a long life cycle with support and upgrades coming out periodically.

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I stress those points regularly on several forums but the bands dont sound any better:rolleyes:. Nothing will improve until the license questions/answers are changed to reflect necessary operating skills.

Carl

WN1MB and N0TZU like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if that is done, it will only affect those who take the tests. And....only if they get those specific questions.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My first bike was a 47 Indian Chief in 56 followed by a 54 Ariel Square 4 a few years later. Nothing until ~70 when I lived in the Chicago area and picked up a 500 cc Kawasaki (unreliable ignition) an AMF-Harley POS, and finally a 71 Norton Golden Commando which I loved but sold it after being transferred back to NH and damn near getting killed by the drivers out here. Havent been up since and went to Street Rods and a coupla Sting Ray years Corvettes for fun AND both were set up for ham rigs of unknown IMD performance for when on a trip to a car show.

NL7W likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Collins along with his USAF and other contacts didnt play those games which later came from Rockwell as already mentioned by Steve, NL7W.

The ARRL was still using old test equipment of questionable performance back then. Actual IMD3 was around -40dB using REAL specs. No surprise there as Collins already led the way which Kenwood obviously copied.

NL7W likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are very important to me also. I can troubleshoot and keep my K3 going far into the future as long as the modular parts are available either from Elecraft or elsewhere - not really much different than a boat anchor, except for the level of integration. Schematics are readily available.

Plus their software support and updating is great and there is a lot of backward compatibility on the newer radios. It’s also possible to discuss issues directly with the designers on the Elecraft forums. I don’t know any Japanese radio manufacturer who even comes remotely close to this level of engagement and support.

N4XRD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.