Elecraft K3 and K3S quality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB0EZY, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, but there is definitely more money in selling assembled or partially assembled radios. I saw Elecraft at the Orlando hamvention and mentioned my K2, and asked a question about interfacing it with something. He kind of turned his nose up at the K2 and tried to sell me a K3. They didn't even have a K2 on display, or any information on it. I was disappointed. But, that's progress.

2. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

What in you opinion has a better receiver, K2 or your FTDX3000?

I am seriously considering building the K2 even though I feel they are over priced.
    I have build many kits just not the k2, always wanted to when I retired.
    But times have changed and buying a FTDX3000 with rebates looks good, it's all
    built and full featured. I like building but. . . . . . .

3. N2SUB

It wouldn't be a fair comparision because the DSP module hadn't been invented yet when I built my K2, and I never went back and built it. It is a lot of fun building a K2, but it does get pricey when you start adding up all the add-on kits you'd need to stack up against the FTDX3000. But, as receivers go it's hard to beat the design and performance of the K2. If you decide to build one, I would do it in addition to another main rig.

4. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I already have a few rigs:) So let me ask you point blank.

Receiver versus receiver which comes out ahead---K2 or FTdx3000?? You have FTdx3000 I believe

5. N2SUB

Yes, I do have an FTDX3000. Between my version of the K2 and the 3000, I would take the 3000 because my K2 puts out only 10-15 watts, and does not have the DSP board installed. However I have heard them with the DSP board installed and they perform well. But, point blank, if both rigs were on the bench in front of me, I'd go for the 3000. Your results may vary....it'a all in how you build it.

I love the 3000, but I also have an IC-7300 and it's a tossup between the two.

6. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate your input.

I always wanted to build a K2. They no longer offer the DSP for the K2. I had one years ago that did have the DSP installed. I didn't build that one. That was years ago and why am asking you. You have the ability to compare one to the other.

I was thinking of either the K2 to build or 3000. But it's interesting what you said on the 7300. I already have a 7300 and after your comment I am not real keen on getting a 3000.

I'll probably end up getting a K2 and building it, just like I planned on years ago.
    I have built many kits and when I was at the airline they send me to soldering school

Thanks again for your input.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As Tom Waits explained in a song years ago:

Step right up.....it will give you an erection and win the election...gets rid of embarrassing age spots...every one's a winner....the quality goes in before the name goes on....don't settle for less...it plays a mean rhythmmaster and doubles on sax.....it entertains visiting relatives....it'll find you a job....and never needs winding.

How do they do it? How do they do it! Volume....turn on the volume. Batteries not included.

The large print giveth while the small print taketh away.

Regarding the fun of building a kit....I think the realities of modern components are taking the fun away from building.

8. N2SUB

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Have fun with the K2. It's nearly impossible to screw up if you follow the directions. :)