ad: k1jek

Elecraft Amplifier to be announced at Visalia CA Hamfest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K2HAT, Apr 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, the thermal issues with SS are the expensive piece, it's a lot easier to remove heat using airflow when the differential is 400 degrees F, a lot harder when the differential is 100 degrees F or less. More mass, or other methods (fluid based heat exchangers for example) are often needed. I might take on the challenges to build one, there are pre-built pallets available now that solve some of these issues, and dirt cheap power supplies are also available. Used to be that you had to combine 4-8 devices (do I dare call them "pills"?) to get any power, now a pair can get you 2KW. Amazing.

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One remaining drawback (so far) is plug-and-play/interchangeability of the devices.

3-500Zs, 8877s and other good tubes for big HF amps have been manufactured for almost 50 years and they still are. If one fails, you can replace it by plugging in another one in a few minutes, and you're back up and running.

In SS broadcast amplifiers, they're almost always built of modules that plug-in and can be swapped quite easily (connectorized), with combiners, power supplies, cooling systems and other stuff located outside those modules. One fails? Pick up a spare and plug it in, you're back up and running.

Amateur amplifiers (so far) aren't like that.

N2EY, NQ1B and AF6LJ like this.
  3. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AND it comes with ATU included.

N2EY likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope they have great success with it. Waaaaay out of this poor guy's price range, but I know it will make some people happy. I'm just thrilled to have purchased a Tokyo Hi-Power HL-1.2KFX yesterday, and can't wait to get it into the shack... my first amp. Can't run it yet, but happy to get it.

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. N6KR

N6KR Ham Member QRZ Page

The first review of the KPA1500 was just posted on eHam:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13702

N6XI’s review is very, very long.... If you have a shorter question, feel free to ask me directly :)

Wayne

N6KR “at” Elecraft “dot” com

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never used one yet, but I've already worked a few guys using them on the air.

They seemed very satisfied.

7. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually now a single LDMOS device can get you to 2kw now!