Elecraft Amplifier to be announced at Visalia CA Hamfest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K2HAT, Apr 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya know, if you make L in the output network adjustable, you can match into a much wider load impedance. That's my plan:
    [​IMG]
    I expect to be able to hit ZLOAD = 25Ω to 500Ω. Note that C4 has about 750pF adjustment, and Cx is selected to set the range. :)

N2EY and AF6LJ like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Here it is
    20170422_080808[1].jpg
    I heard they are getting $6000 for it!!!
    HOLY MACKERAL!!!

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy SS surplus junk. Alter it a bit & use it.
    My Larcan 1.5KW TV transmitter is for 6 meters & I am working on a deck from an MRI machine for 80-10M. Server power supplies are cheap.
    Highest cost for the new amp will be the Russian diplexer LPF.
    I'm a cheap ham.
    I like cheap legal limit.
    None of it is pretty, but functional.
    Total outlay for both (With scrounging) will be under $1k.
    In life, I think I get the most fun out of repurposing stuff. It gives me great satisfaction.

Ed

WA7PRC, N2EY, KV6O and 2 others like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's also the factor that your stuff actually works.....

WA7PRC and N2SR like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A steal!

They'll sell plenty of them at that price, given Elecraft's reputation and following.

WA7PRC and N2EY like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. It's one of the least expensive (if not THE LEAST) SS legal limit amps you can buy, well, almost. You can't buy it just yet. And it's not some Joe-blow manufacturer, this is Elecraft.

I am looking forward to hearing more, like what kind of duty cycle will it have? The KPA 500 is rated at 500W for "10 minutes key down / 5 minutes standby" according to it's manual. I hope the KPA 1500 is similar, that would be really nice! I expect the IMD figure to be good to excellent - this is Elecraft.

And PIN diode switching is soooo nice.... all for $6k? Wow.

Steve
    KV6O

WA7PRC and N2EY like this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

OTOH, it's $6000 only ONCE.
    That's been said about me, too. :p:rolleyes:

8. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All true Cathy. The real point here is complexity. Tube amps are REALLY simple, design wise.
    In the tube amps, the selling cost can be lower due to really simple design and low parts count.
    With the trade off of manually tuning, dangerous high voltages, and fragile glass for shipping.

With solid state, you get rid of high voltages, manual tuning, and fragile glass, at the expense
    of many more parts in the design, very unforgiving and expensive experiments with thermal management trade-offs during the design phase, oscillations during the design phase that destroy the LDMOS device in a fraction of a second at power-on before you realize what happened, all of which translates into very much larger design costs up front.

One small correction; The Elecraft KPA-500 I have currently sells for 2,274.95 assembled,
    and $200 less as a kit. [I have both tube and SS amplifiers and use both]

Cheers,

Neal

N9JKP, AF6LJ and WA7PRC like this.
  9. N6YFM

Bryan: Come on down to Los Angeles; I charge $100/hr for computer work, and have to turn down stuff I have no time for. Endless number of people here that click on stuff they really should not, while not having virus software installed, and do it again, and again, and again :) Profitable.

Ya' can't fix stupid, but ya' can charge for it :)

Cheers,

Neal

AF6LJ and WA7PRC like this.
  10. N6YFM

Right about adjustable "L". My Henry 2K classic uses a roller inductor also, but for some
    reason they chose not to cover 160 in that amp. It should have been do-able, and I could mod
    the thing, but given my small property I will not figure out a 160m antenna any time soon, so punt. :)

Cheers

AF6LJ likes this.