Elecraft Amplifier to be announced at Visalia CA Hamfest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K2HAT, Apr 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Looks like a teaser photo has been released on the Elecraft Facebook page, and also in an email on the Elecraft "Reflector" email list; about a new Elecraft Amplifier.
    Looks like a nice unit.

upload_2017-4-20_16-27-24.png

2. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would appear to be a 1500W based on what I can see - the numbers (several 4 digit) on the LED graph, and the model number ending in "...500 Amplifier"... I saw an early Elecraft amp at a NCDXC dinner about 12 years ago, I believe it was about 750+ watts - bigger (and different) than their shipping 500W model.

Steve
    KV6O

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope it comes to fruition.

The high power HF SS amps today all come from Ameritron or from offshore sources where we are thousands of miles away from their factories.

I'd love to see Elecraft produce a kW (or higher) HF amp. Their reputation for quality and customer support is excellent and whatever they ship is likely to be a very good product that is well supported.

I'll probably still stick with tooobs for the time being, but someday they won't be available.

4. K2HAT

Lots of hints on the Elecraft Email Reflector list. Sounds to me, like it will be 2 pieces; a P/S and an RF deck with a built in ATU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If we are going to announce something like everyone is talking about, we are not
    yet taking orders.

That said, we can put people on a notification list for when we will have
    additional info and for when we will be taking orders for whatever we are
    talking about.

Eric
    /elecraft.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snipping the various emails, here is the short version, from what I gather....

The RF deck weighs only 22 pounds.

Tuner is internal.

Matching 50-V regulated switching supply comes with it. Just 15 pounds. Roughly 6? cable; could be longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am very happy with my KPA500, this new in the works offering, if it comes to market, should be great too. :)

73 K2HAT

5. K2HAT

You Need an Amplifier? Here is one from Elecraft, they will be taking a list, to wait for it to be Approved for sale in the USA by the FCC. 1500 Watts. :)

[​IMG]

Separate remote-controlled power supply

Our new KPA1500 solid-state amplifier won’t take over your entire desktop: it’s just 4.5 x 13.5 x 11.5” (HWD; 11.5 x 34 x 29 cm). The lightweight companion power supply can be placed on the floor or in any other convenient location.

The KPA1500 was designed with the serious operator in mind. Its no-nonsense front panel shows all important parameters at a glance, with a high-contrast 32-character LCD and fast, bright LED bar graphs. Band switching is instantaneous, via control inputs or RF sensing. Protection and monitoring circuitry is extensive and foolproof, letting you focus on the job at hand — breaking pileups and overcoming the most difficult operating conditions. And it wouldn’t be an Elecraft amp without robust PIN-diode T/R switching. Like our KPA500, the KPA1500 offers fast QSK without a noisy relay.

The amplifier’s rugged internal ATU can handle full power with load SWR up to 3:1, while a wider matching range is allowed at lower power, including up to 10:1 in standby mode.

When it’s time to make waves, you can rely on the compact, quiet, highly integrated Elecraft KPA1500.

Note: We will not be accepting orders for the KPA1500 until we receive final FCC certification.*

KPA1500 Features:

• 1500W

• Very compact design

• Fast, silent PIN diode T/R switching

• Built-in Antenna Tuner with dual antenna jacks

• Compatible with nearly any transceiver

• 160-6 meters

• Introductory price: $5,995.

*This device has not been authorized as required by FCC rules. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale, or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
    Last Edited: April 20, 2017

http://www.elecraft.com/KPA1500/KPA1500.htm

N2EY likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, $6k would be a nice price for a legal limit SS amp. I wonder what devices they're using, any duty limits and of course, IMD figures, but Elecraft has a pretty good reputation for delivering.

Very nice...

Steve
    KV6O

K2HAT likes this.
  7. K2HAT

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Elecraft KPA1500 includes Power Amplifier, Internal Tuner, and Separate High Voltage DC Power Supply. Check the prices for Antenna Tuners rated at 1.5 to 2 kW RF Output.

I expect "whiners" about the 240 VAC power input, BUT required for this RF Power Output level (Power Law, Ohms Law) and simplifies production for a global/world-wide product.

I would like to see ANOTHER COLOR used for HV DC Power (PowerPole Connectors)
    RED/BLACK will confuse the "Non-Techs" who will try to power from 12 VDC sources.

BLUE/BLACK was once recommended color for 48 VDC, although that combination may be problem for those with Color Blindness (10-15% male population).
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    N2EY and KD2ACO like this.
  9. AD0AC

AD0AC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$6000...

Well, I guess if you're going to have 3x the output, it should cost 3x the price, amirite?

10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

For less $$ you can buy one of the Expert amps. While made in Italy they do have U S support. Take your pick of the 3 versions ranging from 1 KW up to 2. Small, self contained power supply and built in auto tuner. If I could afford the 1 KW version (SPE 1-KFA) I would have one. Had one in the shack on loan when they first hit the US market and it was awesome 160-6 meters