ad: ProAudio-1

Echolink on two Windows 10 machines

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KC0QNB, Feb 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC0QNB

KC0QNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my situation, I have two computers both running windows 10, the first computer is the only one I can use to connect to anything other than the test server. The #2 machine can connect to the test server, only.
    What I want to so is something to swap that behavior and use echolink on the #2 machine.
    Well after looking a bit, I found out, if you are using windows 10 you do not want to uninstall the program, because of a problem with the install wizard. It also appears teh developer is missing in action (and has been for at least two years). I ham friend of mine said i could swap the IP addresses on the two machines, as a work around. Has anyone done this? what procedure was used? and did it work as expected?

2. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

AFAIK, Echolink does not use IP info, it uses your call sign. Most home users do not have a static IP. The IP is assigned to the router, not the individual machines. Once the 'Internet' gets to the router, it goes to a subnet for all the local machines.
    Run IPConfig to get you machines IP then a web based app like IP LookUp which will default to your router IP. For fun, put in your machines local IP (it will be like 192.168.0.21 the last digits varying) see what it returns. To possibly change your router IP, unplug your router and have iut reset. Some providers provide a way to get a new IP.

3. KC0QNB

Ok, I actually tried shutting one machine down, and the app worked fine on the other one, I even tried connecting the second machine via WiFi, while the first machine was running, it didn't work. I will try some things and see what happens

4. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink might not like the same callsign coming from two machines at the same time. Was Echolink not running on one machine and not able to run on the other? Using WiFi should not matter, just two instances of the same callsign.

5. KC0QNB

I never ran both at the same time, one then the other. I got a reply from Echolink support, that it shouldn't matter which machine I use, just as long as not both at the same time. In the process of messing around I managed to break both connections to the point I can't even bring up the test server. All is not lost though, it works on my tablets and phone, which is the ultimate goal, so I could be doing other things, with the computers while running echolink.