EchoHam questions

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KG5PJG, Nov 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KG5PJG

KG5PJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping for an Elmer to answer questions. New to Echolink via EchoHam on a Mac. Audio EchoTest works, but can't seem to connect to any station. After choosing station, the PTT button is grayed out. Thanks in advance.

2. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you opened the appropriate ports on your firewall and computer (UDP 5198 and 5199)?

Also, you described a situation where the PTT button should be grayed out. The PTT is only available when connected to a station. What is the status of the button when connected?

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Never used echostation or a MAC, BUT...
    on my XP Machine it seemed that my best bet was to open the ports manually
    instead of relying on the setup/installation program.
    ports 5198, 5199 & 5200.

If you are running a firewall program the ports need to be opened up there too along with your router....

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you telling it to connect, After you chose a station ? Can you hear the station ?

If the firewall test works then your ports should be open.

There are settings that select how to trigger PTT.

Good Luck.

5. KG5PJG

Thanks for your reply.You caused me to realize I was not "connecting." Still haven't been able to talk to anyone. Most highlighted stations won't "ping" as connected. It says "connecting to... and then disconnects on its own. Will know more tonight. I found a Net that is on the DODROPIN, tonight. If no one hears me then, I will know I still have a problem. Thanks, again!

6. KG5PJG

Hey, thanks for the info! Changing ports and toying with the firewall are things I'm going to have to find someone else to do. Really appreciate the guidance. Thanks.

7. KG5PJG

You're right. I was failing to connect. BUT, I still can't seem to hear anyone. Most highlighted stations don't "ping" when I connect, and disconnect almost immediately. I'm going to try to hear/join a Net, tonight on DoDropIn. If I hear them and it all works, I will chalk all these problems up to pilot error, and keep practicing. Thanks very much for your advice.

8. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us know your progress.

Also, you noted you may need some assistance opening your firewall. It wasn't clearly stated that: if you configure your client to use Direct Connection, your computer/firewall/Internet connection must be properly opened for EchoLink stations to connect properly. Performing the firewall test can determine that (but I do not recall if the feature is available in the Mac version). I currently run the Windows version on Linux with WINE application layer, but have installed the server (to run conference servers with "**" marks) and configured Mac and the proxy server versions in the past.

Until you can determine how to open your firewall, you must use a private or public proxy (on the mobile version, you also have the "Relay" option). You can use the public proxys listed in the application, or found here:

http://www.echolink.org/proxylist.jsp

KB3VWG

KG5PJG likes this.
  9. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If its like echolink, you have the option of a proxy setting. This worked for me without modifying the ports on connections where I did not have admin options.

KG5PJG likes this.
  10. KG5PJG

Hello, Everyone! Thanks you for all the help and advice. True Elmers!
    I FINALLY worked out all the details. It's been quite a journey. In the end, I uninstalled and Reinstalled EchoHam, bought a new router, and opened ports 5198 through 5201. Now everything works, and I'm enjoying EchoLink. I'd never known of the ports on the router before this. I may even give an EchoLink intro presentation at our club. Thank you all very VERY much. 88 de KG5PJG