Echo

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by 2E0LMR, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2E0LMR

2E0LMR Ham Member

Why The Snobory With Audio Echo On The Ham Bands?

I recently had a contact with a friend on 2 meters who was using a Sadeta Echo Master Plus Classic microphone with a small amount of echo on (no roger beep), I personally I thought it sounded very nice and grand as he had the delay and level set just right (subtle). As I complemented him on his audio he returned and told me he had suffered A LOT of abuse from amateurs (some of which was in breach of our licensing regulations due to the foal language). He was even told that they would not speak to him if he was using that mic!

Now my question is, Why? Why is echo so bad (IF ITS USED PROPERLY)? Some say it creates distortion to the signal and make the audio too wide. If this s true then why are some opp-orators using Lots of expensive studio grade equipment that really dose widen your audio so to carry more depth? This very deep Basie audio can be a problem on busy/ narrow HF bands but again I don't have a problem with it really.

If very wide audio is kind of excepted, then why isn't ECHO???
    :confused:YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE TO HELP ME UNDERSTAND. :confused:

2. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member

Echo mics are generally discouraged for the reasons you state. Here in North America at least, the 11m band has been overrun with echo mic users. Mistakenly, many using echo mics on that band believe that turning up the mic gain increases power, when it only causes signal distortion and excessive bandwidth.

Using high-quality broadcast microphones, on the other end, provide a wider range of audio frequency without distorting the signal or causing "splatter". Perhaps it's better to invest in a higher quality microphone. Also, nothing beats a well crafted and maintained antenna system.

73, Jordan

3. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

You must be kidding...

Good audio and echo microphones are not compatible.

If you really think that he sounded good, that really makes the casual observer think that you really don't know what good audio is. Particularly on VHF FM, good audio is simply clear and understandable without any added noise toys.

Its that simple... and anyone who thinks that echo mikes add clarity or depth or any other silly descriptive terms are simply not credible.

Sorry OM, that they way it is.

OH, yes, as previously mentioned over here, the echo mike and other stupid audio noise toys have been so overused by our CB crowd that any mention of such here will probably be rejected out of hand, as I and the previous respondent have done.

73 Gary

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

If what you say is true then why don't broadcast stations use an echo effect? It degrades intelligibility. It does not bring the signal out of a noisy environment and on most contacts it makes it more difficult to copy. The same thing happens when someone talks too far away from the microphone and the room puts an echo on their signal. Fellow amateurs will tell the operator that his signal isn't crisp and clear and gently guide them to sounding better.
    On another note you just touched on the ESSB folks can be very strange and they dwell in another realm all their own.
    Enough on that subject.
    Have fun
    Gary

5. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member

Aww guys, just say it, it's a carry over from 11m that's not welcome on the ham bands.
    IB4TL

6. KC2ZPK

KC2ZPK Ham Member

I am going to disagree on this with a qualifier, or two.

One, typical 11M noise toys are not good quality, and make a mess on air. However a slight amount of reverb will add something that helps it stand out. The other qualifier is, if you can hear the echo, it is too much. You should not notice it until you remove it. I think the main reason they are not liked is that they are almost always overdone. And while not prohibited in part 97, not that I can find at least, most believe it is not proper. I see it as what it is, just auidio processing, just like the speach compressor, which is also over used by most.

7. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber

While I agree with your previous comments on "enhancements" and ham radio, Broadcast audio is different. Broadcasters - AM, FM TV, AM-HD, whatever, use plenty of time, amplitude, frequency, and phase modifiers. True, most of the time delay is shorter than what we percieve as "echo" but they use it. And who could ever forget...Sunday...Sunday..Sunday........

But in ham radio, ugh , gag me.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

Trivia:

Echo.jpg

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

Yes, there are certain things like echos, roger beeps, turkey callers and phasers that are not appreciated on the ham bands, though sometimes, the phasers would seem to fit the situation.

10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

Is it me or is that echo highly suppressed? I mean I've heard it like they were somewhere in the Grand Canyon and this, compared to 11 meters, is nothing.
    [video=youtube;9WMCT6esqfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9WMCT6esqfk[/video]

Have fun folks. Oh yeah, this one had the most Sundays in it I could find.
    Gary

11. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member

At one of the places I rented I set up my shack in a large downstairs closet. The room probably was intended to be a storage or sewing room or something when the house was built because there was no closet in it and it was to small to fit even a single twin sized bed in. There was no light fixture nor electrical outlets. There was a very small window that let some light in.

The landlord had no problem with me installing an over head light fixture and switch and several outlets in the walls so I did. I installed additional outlets in all the rooms in the house and overhead lighting in all the rooms I could without tearing out drywall, along with an additional fuse box, he wouldn't pay for a proper breaker box so I put in separate 4 fuse box I already owned, that way I had one for the downstairs and one for upstairs..

When I first got my station setup and going there was a distinct echo in the room. A lot of folks commented on it, especially when I would talk to folks on the local 2M repeater. A lot of them seemed to think I was using a chicken band echo mic or at least an amplified CB mic with the rig. It didn't matter that I did not even own an echo mic, they were convinced.

As time passed I put up shelves on two of the walls from about desk height nearly to the ceiling and installed a curtain over the window and the echo effect was nulled by the additional junk in the room. Personally so long as I can understand who I have a QSO with I don't care much what they are using for equipment even if they are using a nasty old CB echo repeat box. If I feel the need for the contact, like if they will QSL and they are in a state I need, I'll swap information and send a card.

I have to admit I have only heard a very few hams on ham bands that are using a echo box and never a echo repeat box or the other CB noise toys. Once in a while I do hear freebanders on the low part of 10M running their junk full tilt boogie. They don't count as they are not hams {mostly}

12. 2E0LMR

2E0LMR Ham Member

Please don't get me wrong, the guy was using a very small amount of echo and as you said, one would be hard pressed to tell but I just wanted to see what others thought of these effects. I do agree it can be miss used but if done right, whats the harm?

13. KB3VEE

KB3VEE Ham Member

It's not about what harm is being done. It's just a quick way to get labeled a lid.

14. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member

I have partial hearing loss and adding something like that to the signal can make it impossible for me to know what is being said.

15. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I have the same problem and observation.

So I encourage my wife to use an echo.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

16. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

Clearly you've never heard any of the "Mexican" AM Broadcast stations.

17. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

I don't know that there's anything wrong with my hearing, but I hear plenty of stations on VHF and UHF that obviously are (mis)using a speech processor and it's all but impossible for me to know what is being said.

18. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber

A little reverb can add to the effective power output of an SSB signal such as compression does. To be honest, a little reverb sounds a lot better than the sound of too much compression. Those guys sound like they are in a wind tunnel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.