ad: elecraft

Easing Eyestrain

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AC2MM, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an addendum, to reply specifically to a few others,
    I will probably have to tear out the white insulation, and install the other two walls and paint them the same. It's a money thing right now. But it's the only logical solution.

I programmed for almost 20 years in C/C++ writing code (80's and 90's) for GUI's and MMI's for my work, and never had this issue. I can't remember (that's a whole different problem) what the colors were in my Borland text editor. But they weren't this blazing, multi-color layout I have now. I also used a product called "NotePad", I believe, that automatically ID's different programming languages, but displays multiple soft colored text and backgrounds of the users choosing. I'm sure I didn't use the sharp resolution that they have now on my single monitor back then. I thought a higher resolution was supposed to be better, but apparently, not for your eyes.

V3CGA - You bring up a point I've long forgotten. The old CGA screens. Low resolution isn't good either, I've had the same experience. I will admit my eyes would get sore staring at a screen for hours, but I don't think it was the same thing. I don't think it was a Blue light issue. I'm not a scientist, but our eyes don't get along well with computer screens for varying reasons for long periods of time.
    I subscribe to Scientific American, and I know the scientific community is taking this issue seriously, especially the long term impact on todays's youth. I've seen some articles on it.

2. AC2MM

A little update:

I removed the three LED track lights, and installed two 4" new construction canisters for flood lights (30W).
    These have a dimmer on them, and the light is much, much easier on my eyes. I have to install two more, then replace the LED 14" door light with a similar fixture. All incandescent.
    This will work for awhile, because in a couple years, or less, I expect this Blue Light issue will necessitate a change in LED l.lighting or a controller for your lighting, since it's attracted so much attention. (See next paragraph)

Also, f.lux has a package that can let you control your LED lights from your computer that will control or eliminate the Blue light the way it controls your screen. See it here for details:
    https://justgetflux.com/lighting/

This may be an example of how people will be able to control or minimize their exposure to Blue Light for those having difficulty sleeping down the road.
    As an option, it's also a way for me to use LED floods in my canisters and control their Blue Light from my desktop in my ham room.

I really like this software for my monitors, and my Optometrist recommends it also.
    Here's some facts and research info on this issue:
    https://justgetflux.com/research.html

Hope this info helps others,
    Robert

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. AC2MM

[QUOTE="VE3CGA,
    This toshiba walmart tv is set to 1360x768 and I do the ctrl +/- thing
    I think I set the icon size and normal text size larger well[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do the same thing (Ctrl+/-) , but with f.lux installed, it's controlling the monitors now, not Windows directly.

4. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Update: For Mac Users:

MacOS X Mojave has Dark Mode, it works very well, much better than Invert Colors. In several Apple applications such as Mail, you have to enable Dark Mode for email messages. The last hold-out is Safari web browser, I found and installed "Night Eye Options" extension. I am pleased with how well it operates in Safari.

Items to consider when enabling dark mode in a web browser:
    1. Photographs, most likely, you want the photos to show in the clear. Night Eye Options shows photos very well. QRZed home page, For Sale items are a good test of passing photos in the clear.
    2. Dark themes profiles enabled on web sites before installing Night Eye Options, are passed through as the dark theme you previously enabled. In other words, you get what you already enabled previously, and the benefits of Night Eye Options dark web pages. QRZed web site is an excellent site to test Night Eye Options.

I suspect in the next release or two of MacOS X, Safari will offer a built-in Dark Mode.

Lastly, Night Eye Options extension to Safari is free; download and install it from the App Store.

Easy on the Eyes,
    Bernie, AF9US

N0TZU likes this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

On a Windows computer, go to All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > Magnifier.
    When the Magnifier window pops up, click on the cogwheel to bring up "Options". Tick the box "Turn on color inversion". That turns the image on the screen to a photo negative. Graphics aren't so pretty, but normal black text on white becomes white text on a black background. Much easier on the eyes for reading long passages of text, because of reduced light input to the eyes.

To get rid of the blue spectrum, purchase a pair of UVEX by SPERIAN S1933X SKYPER® safety glasses. SCT orange XTR lens.

$8.39 from Amazon. "Computer" glasses that do exactly the same thing cost 5 times that much. I use them when working at the computer within an hour or two of bedtime. The blue light from the screen acts like caffeine and makes it hard to fall asleep if you retire soon afterwards.

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Blockin...ocphy=9013097&hvtargid=pla-384068696610&psc=1

6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one can't stand working at 28 or less from the monitor. I sit back about 45" from my monitor, a 24" corner to corner and with 1920x1080. It necessitates getting reading glasses with .25 or more less than reading glasses. If you use +2 for reading, try 1.75 or even 1.5 for the computer. Some type is too small to read, I have a second display that's an old 1040 from a laptop that I can drag things over there to read or use the windows magnifier. High contrast background is bad. I think the OP has fixed that. Otherwise limit your time on the computer.

Not sure about all this blue hype, but...

7. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Having worked IT for 20+ years, I'd say one way of reducing your eyestrain is denied to alot of us -- a window. If you can regularly look a long distance, focusing on things far away, I suspect that will help your eyes. But it seems that IT often gets some of the worst office space available. I can look only about 8' distant, no window, and rather dim LED ceiling lights. Maybe there's a way we can fool our lenses into focusing on something far away even if we are denied a distance view. Something like the Magic Eye images?

73, KD0KZE / Paul

AF9US likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, have your vision checked regularly. One problem is with "variable focus" (or whatever they are called) lenses. They have ONE sweet spot for your computer screen; move the screen and the "sweet spot" will also move. One solution might be simple single vision "computer glasses," that are appropriate for YOUR eyes.

9. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had, 30 years ago when my vision started to decline, a Ophthalmologist that was wise beyond his years. He understood the engineering environment. Everything you needed to see was between 3 feet and 6 inches from your nose. From a stack of test equipment and computer screens to the fine print on a spec sheet. So he prescribes a pair of bifocals that handled that environment. Everything in my view, 1 to 3 feet, was perfectly in focus. And when I needed to see the fine print on a document, the closeup section was over sized, making reading a breeze. I still have those glasses and they still do the job. You just have to be careful not to get up from the bench and walk around.

Years later I tried to have a new pair created. But I had to explain my glasses to the person in charge of a eye glass place. She could not grasp the idea of a pair of glasses that couldn't see past 3 feet. I finally just walked away.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I know that person! I went to a place and the 'doc' absolutely refused to issue a prescription for the 'computer' glasses which I was wanting to replace because of a scratch. Something about her ethics, she said. She told me I wouldn't even be able to identify a person walking into the room. Duh, I'd been wearing that scrip for years.
    Likewise, I had to go elsewhere.