ad: M2Ant-1

Easing Eyestrain

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AC2MM, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uuhh...I'm not sure what the monitor test pics are going to accomplish for me (they are mesmerizing), but anyhow, I changed the background of both screens to Black, which certainly will help.

I have a call into HRD to change their logbook background also, which I can't figure out how to do.
    That's what's on the left screen all the time by necessity while making QSO's and looking up call signs.

I'll also have to do the same thing for their DM-780 Digital window.

The Firefox browser I tried to change, but that didn't work either, but it's not onscreen most of the time. I installed the Black "Theme", but it doesn't change the window color, only the area around it.

And my Ophthalmologist is just down the street. It's been two years, but I'll ask her about these computer glasses.

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had eye strain so bad 20yrs ago when I was writing code on those crummy 14" monitors all day that my eyes wouldnt focus at times. Got out of that work for a while but staring at a 20-30watt bulb isnt good especially with windows colors and some fonts. I use the flat screen tv here and somewhat larger fonts, the tv was cheap from walmart. I might just try the black theme but using this big screen isnt bad at all for fatigue

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the fascination for black text on bright white background all of the clueless web page and application developers seem to like? I dont like them...

4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Eh?

Uhm they do so... people can read it! Or maybe all web pages should be low contrast and all books written in pencil on gray paper? Actually the trend for the past decade or so has been to have very little contrast on web pages -- supposedly soothing (unless you need to read a lot). Kind of like those Apple USB charger cubes that are white with the text written in microscopic light gray text, or the many black remotes with dark grey labels. That's what's known as style and form over function. Much research has been done on readability of text and the best performing is always dark texts on a light background.

Of course everyone has their preferences, but that doesn't mean everyone else is clueless....

Mark.

PS: As others have suggested, a lot of times I think monitor brightness is turned up too high.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Reducing screen resolution can save your eyes.

1280x800 works good for me. Screen refresh is faster.

Ctrl + and - helps for web page sizing.

Enjoy.

VE3CGA likes this.
  6. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

back in the dark but fun ages (RCA 1802) I had a green screen monitor on my 1802 board. Stared at it for hours and never got eye strain, but then I was much younger and resolution was the same as a tv
    This toshiba walmart tv is set to 1360x768 and I do the ctrl +/- thing
    I think I set the icon size and normal text size larger well

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was writing code seriously, I preferred black text on a light blue background. Sure beat the heck out of the old green and amber screen terminals we started with. Now most of the editors use multi-colored text that highlights various things in each line of code -- and it is hard to find a color combination that lets you easily see all the colors.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is possible. Especially with contact lenses, or lenses that are "variable." They ARE meant for a certain distance for only a small area, and off-axis can easily lead to fatigue. The "one size fits all," usually means "one size fits nobody well." So-called "computer glasses" are often helpful, but may need to be sculpted to your own personal needs/requirements. I know, as my requirements were MUCH different when I recently changed from a BIG CRT monitor to a higher resolution, wide screen LCD monitor! (And I'll NEVER go back!)
    But YES, DO get your vision checked. It can (and DOES) change over time.

9. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally .....
    -I would get rid of the white walls behind the desk.
    -reduce monitor brightness
    -good quality ( mine came from Wally World ) Magnifier reading glasses.

I do wear prescription glasses and they are bifocals ..... the readers were a suggestion from my eye doc and help a lot for computer stuff.

Matt

10. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Guys and gals,
    You took time to answer, the least I can do, and usually do, is to follow up and give you the results of your suggestions.
    Sometimes it takes awhile to get things done.

Anyhow,
    I have changed the background to Black, which has helped.
    HRD and I keep trying to connect because they say I can change the Background of the Logbook window to be the same or similar, to their Rig Control screen, another words, grey text on Black. I keep trying. This will help

I have played with your other suggestions, but they aren't the cause of my eyestrain so much. My monitors are 1920 x 1280 at 60 hz. This is the only res that really looks right, I tried a few others.

There's three issues for me here from your suggestions which I have to change:

1. The amount of Blue light on both the monitors, which is currently being filtered by the software "f.lux". I will adjust these better to tone down the Blue light, which will help more.

2. I had a visit to the Optometrist today, had my eyes examined. My left eye has had quite a change necessitating new glasses. That's a lot of the issue. The change has happened within a year. I have expensive frames, and the mfg has a special deal ending this week, buy a pair of glasses with the Varilux lenses, get a second pair of glasses for free. The pair I have now is coated with a Blue light filter and anti-glare, and both new ones will have these coatings also. The second pair will be for computer use (ham) only, larger, the upper portion set for a distance of about 28" to the screens, the bottom for reading or typing. Standard bifocals, maybe transition, not positive.

She told me that any of Blue Light coated lenses for glasses right now is only 36% efficient at best. Varies between 34% to 35%. A company called Esler in France is working on the Blue light problem in collaboration with others to accomplish a couple of main objectives. First, how to raise the percentage of Blue light filtration effectiveness in glasses without damaging or negatively impacting the users eyes in some other, as yet undefined, ways.

They are trying to establish the long term impact of the Blue Light issue over time for users, especially since the current generation are so dependent on computers, tablets, Pads, phones, TV's, etc, all emitting Blue Light in varying amounts, but also over many hours every single day. This is being approached as a potential serious health issue for young people.

She also said that along with my new, coated, glasses, I should also use the f.lux program, or an adapter over the screen to help reduce the Blue light even further. I know it's working myself because when I took a photo of my shack, the screens looked brown, or tan colored, so I had to go back and turn off the f.lux program in order to make the photo's look normal.

So two big things to start, fix my out-of-focus left eye, and get computer glasses designed to be worn only at my desk. Also, adjust the f.lux program to provide as much Blue Light filtration as possible.

3. Lighting. I am also going to try and change out my LED spotlights over the desk back to incandescent, if I can. I have a mini tracklight with three small LED spots set for indirect lighting against the walls. They're getting tough to find, but I'm going to try. I suppose Halogen would also work, I'm not sure, but they're hot.
    I put up walls and a door in the basement this year to provide an enclosure for heat and privacy for my equipment and myself. I foresaw the Blue light issue and painted the walls on two sides in a light brown, non-reflective color to keep down indirect glare. Unfortunately, I did not wall in two sides that have that white insulation over the blocks, as is the style now. So two walls are white, the other two light brown. I'll figure out something I guess.
    The most important thing is to get rid of the LED spots. I am unaware of any filters that can be installed over spotlights. If someone knows of anything, let me know please. LED lighting is the rage now due to it's electrical efficiency, but it's creating another problem that most people are unaware of.

I know personally, I spent a few bucks and changed over all the lights in my home to LED's to save energy.
    But now I have trouble sleeping at night, and now know the reason(s).

So I was told, by a Sleep Disorder Center that I subjected myself to, to stay away from all computer screens, TV's, IPads, phones, etc for at least one hour before bed. I only partially comply with that, admittedly. I turn off my ham stuff, go upstairs, and sit down with my Nook and read a book with the f.lux Blue light filter . You just can't escape it...

But ironically, I have made my situation unsolvable by surrounding myself with LED lighting in my entire home, all of which emit Blue light, bouncing off all the nicely painted White walls to varying degrees.

Perhaps I went off topic a bit, but at least you have the "rest of the story". (Who said that?)

Thank you for your help on this. It was the incentive I needed to find out what's wrong.
    I did.

Robert

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018 at 3:13 AM
    N0TZU and K6CLS like this.