Early version of SB220

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N4IDA, Jun 30, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4IDA

N4IDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone,

I’m wondering if someone might help me identify what appears to be an early version of the Heathkit SB220.

I was given a SB220 several years ago. I pulled it off the shelf recently to open it up and see what I had.

Upon examining it and comparing it with my SB220 that is already in use it appears it’s an earlier version of the amp compared to mine.

One of the obvious differences is the load capacitor.

My amp has a 2 section load cap, with connections going out the bottom, while this older one is a single section cap with its connection in the main RF section of the amp.

Is this enough info to help me identify this amp.

Also would you mind helping me find the manual for this older version?

Thanks

Al – N4IDA

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Pictures would help a LOT!

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  3. N4IDA

Ok. I'v let a friend of mine take the amp back home with him in another state. I'll get some pics together.
    Al

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IDA:

My SB-220 manual shows a single section antenna loading capacitor and I have it in PDF format. Contact me, by E-Mail, at

k9sth (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

Glen, K9STH

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The single version is the newer model and the dual section is the older model you have it backwards.

N2EY likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both manuals on my website. I redrew the schematic for the later version that shows C57 as a single-section part.

When I redraw a schematic using a vector drawing application (Visio) and "print" to PDF:

• No matter how far you zoom in, text & line remain SHARP.
    • Since nothing is scanned, every hardcopy is a 1st generation printout.
    • Text is searchable.
    • Compared to a scanned image (a yuuge pile o' pixels), file size is itty-bitty.
    I can't do anything about the rest of the manual, :-/

N2EY, AF7XT and W7UUU like this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the earlier version have a zener for bias or is it zero bias?

8. N4IDA

Oh! I stand corrected.
    Al

9. N4IDA

What do I need to do to get those new drawings? Would appreciate it. My buddy and I are in hot pursuit of recovering violated Heathkits.
    Thank.
    Al - N4IDA

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All sb220 amps had around 5.6v of operating bias. The original ones had a 5watt axial zener with a finned heat sink right on the rectifier board. Later models had the 10 watt zener mounted to the side panel. Unfortunately with a major discharge of energy even the 10 watt zener bites the dust. The string of diodes used in aftermarket boards with 1n5408’s live through most gas off events.

N2EY and W2VW like this.