E-Bay NE602s ?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by NN4RH, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are the various NE602s sold on EBay decent quality "real" NE602s ? Or are they crud knock-offs? Anyone had problems with them ?

Some are marked Signetics and made in China, some are marked Thailand. Either are often described as "Phillips" NE602AN

Am I better off spending more for NXP SA602AN from Mouser ?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Chances are it is a bargain "sanded and relabeled" part (if East Asian sourced),
    possibly used (maybe pulled from equipment) or NOS.
    Mouser or DigiKey that much more expensive??

NXP (old Phillips) SA602A datasheet (2014)
    http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SA602A.pdf

**BTW, if USA import tax is passed (now in Congress) .... "game rules" change ....
    you will see more "used components" via eBay or Alibaba (unless they are also taxed). **

eHam.net discussion (2008)
    http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=38226.0

Electronics Now, February 1997
    Joseph Carr
    http://schematicsforfree.com/archive/file/Radios & RF Circuitry/Misc/Using the NE602 RF Chip.pdf

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. You can get the eBay NE602s (if that's what they are) for as low as 48 cents each in quantity.

Mouser and Digikey list in their online catalogs as "obselete" the SA602/612 in 8-pin DIP package and don't sell them. They only list surface mount versions. And making a surface mount IC fit on a board that wants a DIP-8 is little more work.

Actually the eBay cost is low enough that I'll just buy a bunch and see how they work out. At worst I'm out 10 or 15 dollars.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can buy adapter boards for that purpose.
    the SM part mounts on the board and the board has pins that fit in the board....

As for E-Bay parts.
    Buy at your own risk.

5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds too good to be true..... you can get fake RF power transistors from Ebay. Myself I would be cautious, very cautious, how can they get devices cheaper than anyone else?

Who is the supplier?

Dave

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Signetics has been out of business since abt 1980. Keep in mind if they're claiming new parts. Did they make stuff in China back then?

7. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

KitsandParts.com sells reliable SA602s in DIP package. I got fakes from eBay that worked fine up to about 30 MHz.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just recently bought some low budget ne602s from ebay, U.S. seller. I'm using them in a product detector design I put together, they actually work well. But word to the wise use a socket with them and don't solder directly to them. My product detector works great but I use a 7806 regulator on the ne602. Knock on wood, so far so good!

AF6LJ likes this.
  9. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought 50 of the EBay parts for 36 bucks, and although I've only used half a dozen or so they seem to work fine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. K7ELP

K7ELP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 10ea SA602 that were not bought on EBAY, I don't recognize the logo, anyway they are for sale, data base said I paid $2.00 for them
    shipping would be about $2.00 in a padded envelope. If any 0ne is interested my email address is good in the data base.
    Ned K7ELP