E-bay lunacy strikes again . . .

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by WA7KKP, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on Pat, you're RICH.... buy this thing and impress us!
  3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is it;
    Hope this helps and if it's any comfort it won't cover 11 meters.
  4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the sellers 'other' career is landfillexpress...
  5. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Shipping: $999.99 Economy Shipping | See details

Item location:
    Goldsboro, NC, United States

Ships to:
    United States See exclusions
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

And you forgot... add a warranty from $249.99!!

Someone page PT Barnum. We need a "this way to the egress" sign!
  7. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a 1.7 - 4.4 Mhz Vehicular tx/rx set. Vintage is WW2.

Other than the stupid pricing, and the even more stupid poster, theres more CB yuks per word in your post than in the listing.

On a serious note, units abound, schematics abound and unless it was the personal radio of MacArthur, its worth maybe 10% of that.
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Move the decimal point 3 places to the left and I will think about it.

OH WAIT!!!
    Shipping is $999.99!!!! RAT B#######D!!!!!!!!!

He could ship me a #$#@#@#@ TANK cheaper than that!!!
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Surprised its not being offered by "Radio Mart" as "new, in box"...
  10. KO6WB

Gheez...They were giving them away after the conclusion of WWII. I suppose you could easily say it was MacArthur's personal radio and who would be the wiser? Further more who would really care?
    That unit has just about zero value and that would match the IQ of the person that would buy that thing.
    Have fun
  11. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

His last transmission with it was, "I shall return...to this frequency."
  12. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't visit an egress when it is eating.

They get nasty when eating.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  13. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. KO6WB

Isn't it great to know that the "stupid factor" is a universal constant.
    We need a massive government study on why people buy things for way over what they should. But what would the government know about that? Kind of a pot/kettle thing.
  15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

16. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

17. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have come to the conclusion that anything can and will be sold on e-bay. I am absolutely sure that something that is currently in your trash can, could find its place on e-Bay.
  18. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Y'know, the thought occurs to me that it is possible that the seller is not an idiot or a maroon, or thinks that we are suckers. There may be a very good reason for the high price.

For example: When we were house-hunting, a few years back we spotted a very nice house in our price-range, right by the golf course perimeter (loads of trees to support dipoles!). But somehow, our realtor never could arrange for us to see the place, and after a few weeks, it went off the market. Then we found out the back-story; the owner was in the midst of a divorce, and he was required to list the house for sale... but if it didn't sell (or have an offer on the table from someone to buy it) by a certain point in time, he could buy out his soon-to-be ex. So all he had to do was stall until the deadline, while meeting (just barely) the letter of the agreement.

So... it is certainly possible that in this (and in some of the other outrageous examples) that this is a listing to comply with the letter, but not the spirit, of an agreement with another party to sell the item.

"See hon? I listed it for what it's worth, and nobody bought it... you don't want me to give it away and lose money, do you?"

...of course, for about 95% or more of the listings, they may be just be schmucks or think we are...
  19. AD8T

AD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

My Grandpa always said my cousin and I could break up an anvil. We never did. But he also said you could sell 2 sticks glued together, and he was right about that. Sure enough, years later I saw in a store 2 tongue depressors glued to a wood block -- to remove English muffins from the toaster. That's enterprise/capitalism/idea-value-added in a nutshell.
  20. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember, there is an a$$ for every seat. (Or some fool willing to pay dearly for something 'cause he gotta have it!)

For the price of some of those knobs, I could waste a couple of days in the shop machining a really fancy one and it would definitely be rare.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.