ad: KB6NUGuides-1

DXpedition QSO guidance, splits and other factors

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7TRD, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. W7TRD

W7TRD Subscriber QRZ Page

Great vid! Thank you!!

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly agree with the need to listen and then listen again, and try to discern the DX operator's pattern ( up, down, all around ). Finding who he is working helps, but sometimes, given propagation and directionality, you just can't hear who he is working. Sometimes spots will provide clues ( e.g., worked him up 2.5 ). Of course by the time you see the spot he will have moved on, but it is a clue. Best to just keep listening and tuning around and eventually figure out the pattern, knowing that lots of people will also be doing the same thing, yet lots of people will be calling blindly so at least you have a much better chance than they do.

But here's something that is hard to do, given the temptations, but important to do it. And that is do not send out your call unless you can hear the DX clearly. You need to hear him clearly or you will miss instructions like EU, NA, etc. And you need to hear him clearly to figure out the pattern and timing, i.e., you need to know when he is done with a contact and ready for another, otherwise you will be adding to the mess.

Working split means listening to the DX TX frequency in one ear and listening to your TX frequency in the other. As I tune across the split zone I hear so many people transmitting when the DX is transmitting. Guess what, if he is transmitting then he cannot hear you and will not work you !!

3. WA6EEM

WA6EEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the useful info. I'm kind of new to huge pileup like I'm seeing now from Ducie Island. I've been able to work them on FT8 and CW (17 & 15 m)so far. But I cant figure out how to legally work them on 40M cw. Ducie is very loud here tonight but since their xmit is 7.010 and I'm Advanced my closest xmit freq is legally above 7.025. I've been listening tonight and the only instructions I've heard is the op sending up up up. All of the calls aimed at Ducie are up 2-10 and I hear nothing North of 7.025. So is it legally possible for an op with less then Extra to work Ducie on 40 cw? I'm working on Extra class now. 73, Frank

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not unless they listen UP to 7025.5 or so. I'm in your boat as a General Class operator & at this stage of the game,... have pretty much figured out that I ain't gonna work them on 40 meters. :( - There's always the possibility that during the closing days of their operation, that they move up to 7023 or so, which would give you a chance if you can "split" UP 2 or 3 khz. (I ain't holding MY breath) ;) - Some of our older xcvrs can't split more than 1 or 2 khz. with RIT :(

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WZ7U
    THANK YOU FOR THAT SUPER PIX OF LID.

HERE IS ANOTHER REALITY OF DX PILE UPS
    Hubby_es_XYL Mar 2017.gif

HAVE A SUPER WEEKEND
    SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY k1lkp.jpg
    CFO # 1008

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WA6EEM

WA6EEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply. After writing my post last night I got to thinking. I copied down the next 5 US stations that VP6D responded to. Of the 5 calls 2 were Extra, 2 were General and 1 Advanced. I have no idea of the freq these stations mentioned above were xmitting on as I was listening to VP6D at 7.010 but this makes me wonder...

WZ7U and W5BIB like this.
  8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

On the bright side, they heard you loud and clear.

WZ7U likes this.