DXpedition QSO guidance, splits and other factors

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7TRD, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7TRD

W7TRD Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello folks,
    Seeking guidance on how to properly work a DXpedition station operating split AND only listening to a specific class on certain frequency. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about....Ducie Island.
    For instance; would I listen on planned DXpedition station transmit freq. and reply back on their planned listening freq.? No split? They plan to transmit on the Extra portion on 20M phone, but listen to Generals in the General portion.
    I just want to keep QSO legal, within the DX code, and increase my chances at a rare DXpedition worked.
    Thank you all for your time!!

2. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's pretty straightforward. You can transmit on any frequency you are authorized for. You can listen anywhere.

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

If you listen on one frequency and transmit on another, that's "split".
    No matter where the DXpedition station is transmitting, YOU must transmit only in the General Class sub-band.
    So, yet, you list
    If you listen on one frequency and transmit on a different frequency, that's "split".
    No matter where the DXpedition station is transmitting, YOU must transmit only in the General Class sub-band.

So, yes, if their plan is as your describe, LISTEN for them in the Extra Class sub-band and TRANSMIT in the frequency range they specify in the General Class sub-band.

Hope you get 'em. ;)

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Their "planned" frequencies serve only as a general guide,not actual use.

Listen to them working the pileup until you know what their intent is in terms of two things - their listening frequency which they will announce, e.g., up, 5 up, etc... as well as who they want to work, e.g., EU, SA, US, etc...

Your transmit frequency is determined by where they are listening. Find the station they are working, find whether they stay on that frequency, tune up or down for their next qso, and follow their pattern. Anyone who spends more than a few minutes calling is just wasting time by calling on the wrong frequency.

5. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sean,
    The VP6D DXpedition will always be working split. In the case of 20m SSB, you will always need to set your TX frequency within the General Class band limits, and they have stated that they will be listening in that subband. On some other bands, like 17m, the entire band is open to all license classes, so you can TX anywhere within the QSX slot that the DX station specifies, i.e. up 5, or up 5-10, etc.

As far as working the pileup, every operator has their own style and method of tuning through the QSX slot.
    - Some will take a few QSOs on one frequency, and then move up or down a little in frequency for the next set of QSOs.
    - Others will move up or down after only one QSO.
    - Others, yet, will seem to randomly choose a new frequency.
    It all depends on the operator.

So far, for the QSOs I have made, the SSB op definitely used the first method, and the CW op seemed to use the 3rd method. Of course, the op may decide midstream to change his listening scheme between any of those. The wide QSX slots definitely make things more difficult. I still think it is worthwhile to spend a couple of minutes calling on one frequency before moving to another.

The key is to listen more than you transmit, and don't call out of turn or call when the DX op asks for a different geographical area than yours. This kind of behavior just slows the QSO rate for everyone. Unfortunately, such bad behavior has increased over recent years.

Good luck!

KG5THG likes this.
  6. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't worry, if you forget to set split, there will be plenty of guys on the air to remind you and call you all kinds of names.

W4DMK, N1EN, AB8MA and 1 other person like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

UP lid.gif

KG5THG, N1EN, KK5JY and 5 others like this.
  8. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

How embarrassing when I found it was me they were talking to yesterday CW 12 meters. :oops:

WZ7U likes this.
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will have to say some of the audience is helpful. One guy was calling and another would say "wrong vfo", the calling guy did ask what he meant and it was explained and all was well. Those hollering idiot, moron, etc... didn't seem to help but they did succeed in adding more qrm to what was already there. Come to think of it, I swear they sound like the same people that do that during the 13 colonies when the British station is working split (I don't try to work them as I can't hear them for instructions, etc...). You can actually sit back with a beer and enjoy the show. Funny and sad at the same time.

I get a laugh when I see it in ft8. I always think who are they talking to and why are they qrm'ing the time slot.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

First, thanks for asking. SPLIT is a difficult thing to understand as a beginner, although people may tell you it's "straightforward" and might even make you feel embarrassed for asking the question. These are the same guys who will be yelling "UP!" and calling you a lid if you mistakenly call on the wrong frequency. Don't worry about them! Who's the real lid, the person who made an honest mistake, or the person who is intentionally transmitting on the wrong frequency to insult or belittle someone? ;)

Here's a really good video that explains and demonstrates how to work a DXPedition running split. Parts may be hard to understand, but stay with it and you'll be an expert in 20 minutes:

All the best, and good DX.

W4DMK, K1LKP, W7TRD and 1 other person like this.