DXCC Challenge ????????????

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2WH, Feb 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K2WH

K2WH Wanna get Lucky? Remember Valentines Day Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Can anyone explain in everyday terms what the DXCC Challenge is and how to apply for the award ?

Here are my stats from my Logic9 log.

upload_2018-2-6_13-10-20.png

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It basically a award for working 1,000 band entities on 160 thru 6 meters. So if you work and confirm a new country on 20 that would be 1 point, if you work the country on 15 but you already have that country confirmed 0 points. So say you have England confirmed on 160 but that's the only band. If you work England on 80/40/30/20/15/12/10 you would add 7 points to your Challenge total. Your total is the sum of each bands countries total but does not take into account modes. On your LOTW chart add the band totals and you will find it equals the Challenge total at the bottom. (do not include the mixed, CW or Phone totals)

K2HAT likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Google is your friend.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The DXCC Challenge Award is earned by working and confirming at least 1,000 DXCC band-points on any Amateur bands, 160 through 6 meters (except 60 meters). Certificates are not available for this award however, there is a distinctive wall plaque available to display your achievement. Plaques can also be endorsed in increments of 500 additional band points. Deleted entities do not count for this award. All contacts must be made after November 15, 1945. QSOs for the 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6 meter bands qualify for this award. Bands with less than 100 contacts are acceptable for credit for this award and you do not have to have an active award on a band for it to qualify.

Amazingly enough, despite claims of terrible conditions, I continue to rack up challenge points running 600 watts to two dozen wire antennas in my suburban backyard. 2249 Challenge points.
    8 new ones on 160M via LoTW! All worked with a 36' high Inverted -L. Six more to the 125 country endorsement for 160M.
    ALAND ISLANDS OH0Z
    CANARY ISLANDS EF8R
    CEUTA & MELILLA EA9CD
    GUINEA-BISSAU J5T
    MAURITANIA 5T5OK
    NORTHERN IRELAND MI0SLE
    REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA ZS1LS
    U K BASES ON CYPRUS ZC4A

In a few weeks Z60A should be number 2250! Halfway to 2500 and filling all the medallion slots on my plaque.

Zak W1VT

K1TGX, W7UUU, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  5. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a nice award, if you are curious as to what it looks like check out my page on QRZ. I am presently working for 1500 and getting close. For a complete listing of rules go to ARRL and then to the awards section.

6. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully most people on QRZ are more helpful than this.

K1TGX likes this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was being helpful - doing what a good Elmer does. The old "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" thing.

All too often, certain folks will post a question on an internet forum which makes it clear that they have done little or no research on the subject. What they want is for someone else to do their research for them, figure out the various important parts, and then craft and spoon-feed them a custom answer to their question.

Boils down to: "Wouldn't it be easier for me, if you did it?"

When someone is "helpful" to such a questioner, they are reinforcing the behavior. A good Elmer does the opposite - teaches the questioner to find the answer, rather than being dependent on others.

This does NOT mean all who ask questions are this way. Most are not, and it is evident from their question that they have done a lot of research, thinking, etc., on their own.

But that's not the case here, from what I can see, and have seen.

N2SR likes this.
  8. WA8UEG

While I agree with your statement I don't think this question fits. If you Google you will come up with what W1VT posted from the ARRL web site and if you know what a band point is your golden but I can see where many are not familiar with the term. If you Google band points nothing will come up to explain and as far as I know it's the only award that refers to band points. I could be wrong but I do not believe a band point is explained anywhere on the ARRL site either.

Now if someone asks how long to cut a 1/2 wave dipole or what the difference is between a TH3 & a TA33 I agree 100%.

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The phrase "Google is your friend" is not to be taken literally. It's shorthand for "do your research BEFORE asking a question; it's obvious that you haven't".

Doing research involves more than simply putting terms into Google - that's the easy part. What real research means (in this context) is following the links, reading what they say, and understanding it as much as possible. Only when that is done as far as possible is it time to ask a specific question. The OP's question makes it clear that wasn't done.

73 de Jim, N2EY

K2HAT and N2SR like this.
  10. WA8UEG

I didn't ask the question, I answered it. Follow all the links as far as you want, I don't think you will find an explanation anywhere of what band points are. I figured it out a long time when the new award was introduced but I can understand why someone would ask the question and his question is leaps and bounds above many if not most asked on the forums.
    Pretty simple really, I knew the answer and answered it. You either didn't know and thought he, rather than you, should do the research and in that case I agree OR you do know but think it was not worthy of your time and effort to answer. No problem.
    The only thing I don't understand is why you would write such a response AFTER the question was answered?

K1TGX likes this.