ad: UR5CDX-1

DX Questions answered by Dr. DX!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6QU, Mar 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tell them good by and do your
    own thing Lisa, I like the VE7CC
    DX page, look at Vocap GL.

2. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not saying that anyone was accused of doing this,however,as I always told my kids while growing up.Never be embarrassed asking

a question,the only foolish question is the one not asked!! This is how we learn.I always feel good at the end of the day when I've

learned something new that I never knew before.Every day should be a learning experience. Respectfully,Gregory L. Mitchell-
    W2MYA,West Caldwell,N.J.

M0REU likes this.
  3. KF5WKW

KF5WKW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen so many "real" Ph.Ds that can't tie their shoe laces or figure out which way is up, even in their field, that the Dr. badge means nothing to me. It's worth less than the paper it's printed on and far less substantial than the ink. I've also seen many who do not have formal education but are far smarter than the previously spoken of paper Drs. Those who are self-educated always seem to have much more common sense and less ego than the formally educated. The self-taught also don't lord it over others at any challenge to their knowledge. But hey, to each his own.

73s
    Tony

WG7X likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience is that such stereotypical and silly notions are made by those who aspired to get a Ph.D. but only seem to be able to provide a list of reasons and people that thwarted them....IOW, its 'others' fault. Its too hard. Life owes me. Fate intervened. I had to do X. I didn't have the money. Blah blah blah.

Hillbilly elegy in action.

Successful people deal with all that and manage to do things like get Ph.D.'s . Maybe they had to wait 20 years. Maybe they had to put off marriage, family. Maybe that had to take care of sick family members. Maybe they were broke; had to pay off a debt; had to live modestly. Maybe they had a medical condition that made it challenging.

But, da**it, they persevered.

I have had decades to consider those unhappy soals and my general conclusion is-- tough: you weren't willing to pay the price.

Life is never easy to those who have to push themselves. Which is just about everyone.

If ego drives success in the human condition then I say--more. To he** with the hillbilly elegy defense. Lord away! We are all better because of it!

All genius is 'self educated'---Ph.D. or not. Duh.

Pay the price. Make the sacrifice.

Don't putter. DO!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. K7LOL

K7LOL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once stationed at Fort DX.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn't have been close by...

;-)

WR2E and K8MHZ like this.