DX hunting on CW: Sending “X” in place of “CQ”?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W9JEF, Apr 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night on 30 meters, copied “XKH7XS” (sent at about 30 wpm). Looked that up, but no such call. Then it dawned on me: did find KH7XS, a contest group. They were looking for “EU” and were S-9 at my QTH.

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did they have a pileup?

I've seen some folks send "X" in place of (or as a sloppy rendition of) "TU". "TU [call]" isn't that unusual to end a quick contact and request a new caller in a contest or pileup situation.

AA5CT and W5BIB like this.
  3. W9JEF

Come to think of it, the sending did sound a bit sloppy.

Also heard 7Q7EI. Now that was a pileup (didn't get through). :(

4. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Some CW stations, instead of the traditional "CQ", will send "QRZ".

They really aren't saying "who's calling". They are all alone and they want someone to call them. It is understood, but still not correct.

K3XR likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In all my years I've never heard this.... and I've done plenty of CW DX over the years

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO likes this.
  6. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I strongly disagree. Unless they are close to you, and have a similar antenna to yours (pointed in the same direction if its directive), you've no idea what they are hearing! Especially on HF high-bands, propagation is anything but homogenous across a continent or ocean.

These same factors (propagation, antennas, and QTH) are at the heart of cluster spot misuse, since the value of a spot requires knowledge of the spotters station and topography in order to have confidence in the spot.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  7. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard X being sent instead of CQ and I have worked a lot of CW DX over the years.

Must be a fashion thing for a particular group.

KA0REN likes this.
  8. W9JEF

On reflection, it must have been a TU.

KA0REN and VK2WP like this.
  9. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sent fast with an op in a hurry and probably the spacing a bit tight may be the explanation.

KA0REN and W9JEF like this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When a desirable station gets a pile up of callers it is quite common for them to only exchange a signal report. The target of the pile up frequently ends the QSO by sending TU (Thank you in Morse Code) and sending his callsign and then listens for the next caller. Many "newer" CW ops are so used to hearing Farnsworth timing with exaggerated spacing that they mistake the TU as X. Listen to the next DX pile up on phone. You will probably hear the DX station operating SSB do the same thing and just say "Thanks" a the end of a signal report exchange and then listen for the next caller. Hopefully every few exchanges they will ID and say UP if they are working SPLIT.

I had a ham ask me once about something else he heard on CW and didn't understand. He heard a US station working a "pile up" and was calling CQ NST. I told him it was a contest and the station was sending CQ TEST.

KA0REN, K5ABB, K4AGO and 5 others like this.