DX etiquette

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC9ZYA, Mar 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When the OP was made, there was a different contest on. My remarks should have been a bit more general I suppose.
    But... I did refer him to a good contest information web site, so maybe I'm still OK?

N2SUB likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm OK, you're OK. I wasn't implying anything different....we're all friends here, right?

My bad, I did not notice the time warp.

WG7X and K2HAT like this.
  3. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Think in terms of conversational etiquette. If you hear someone say, "Excuse me, but is Bob Jenkins here? If so, please raise your hand."

If you're Bob Jenkins, then raise your hand. If you're not Bob Jenkins, then do not raise your hand.

Of course, there are those who maintain it is rude of an op to call "CQ DX". In other words, they think it's rude to call Bob Jenkins, even when you have business with Bob Jenkins. By their lights, if you have something you need to discuss specifically with Bob Jenkins, what you're supposed to do is say, "Is there anyone here? If so, please raise your hand(s)." At that point, you need to have a conversation with everyone whose hand went up and, if you're lucky, one of those hands might belong to Bob Jenkins. I confess I have never understood this bit of weirdness, but there are actual hams who look at it this way.

For my part, if I want to talk to DX stations, I call "cq dx". If I want to talk to a specific individual, I call them, specifically. If I want to talk to someone from Montana, I call for someone from Montana. I don't think this is rude at all.

I actually pity the people who think it's rude to call the people they want to talk to. How frustrating must it be for them to use the telephone? I assume that "politeness" dictates that they simply dial numbers randomly until they, by chance, finally dial the number of the person they need to talk to. Yikes!