DX etiquette

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC9ZYA, Mar 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KC9ZYA

KC9ZYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I wanted to ask what the proper etiquette is if I hear someone calling "cq cq dx contest, dx only.." or something to that effect. Thanks. 79's Jim

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Jim it depends...

If you are a USA ham, and you hear another USA ham calling CQ DX contest, that means he does not want to contact you. Conversely, if the ham calling CQ DX contest is outside of the USA, then by all means give him/her a call.

This week end was the ARRL DX contest, which meant that US and Canada works the rest of the world. USA to USA would be a no point contact so most folks might work you or they might not.

As I said, it depends. If I was working the contest and you called me, I would work you and put you in the log, but some might not. If I was tuning around during a DX contest I would not waste any time trying to call a US/ Canadian station.

If you are ever interested in contest requirements, Google WA7BNM. He has a very comprehensive contest schedule complete with data concerning exchanges.

73 Gary

W7UUU, W4POT and W7EDC like this.
  3. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with WG7X as well, however in other instances, examples are not only contests, but DX expeditions, if the dx calls for Europe only, or South America only, then do not call them. Sometimes I generate a pile up on 20 CW to Europe, I have loads of stations calling, I normally send EU and listen, one day I had a state side station continually call me. I missed the calls of European stations due to this problem. I finally, out of frustration sent the state side stations call and asked RU DX? He finally got the message and vanished.

A few years ago I was operating in the QCWA contest and called CQ QCWA, a couple of stations replied, I sent the exchange only to get ? sent back to me. I asked the station calling RU a QCWA member? No, he replied, my answer was "Why did you call, this is for QCWA members. It was very frustrating.

K2HAT likes this.
  4. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite is when another station calls you and then asks for your call sign. WTF?

KI4AX and K8PG like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

U R 59, call agn pse. RRR 59 call agn pse 3x 3x only call.:eek:

6. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

DX Etiquette? Is that an oxymoron?:p

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Proper etiquette is to go to a different continent, where that station is NOT located (or to a remote island in the middle of an ocean somewhere) before responding to that guy's call.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

.... and then tells you that you are "off freq".

9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

79's?? o_O

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

This was the CQWW WPX contest. In this contest you get a point for working another US station. I worked plenty last weekend:

6 points per 160/80/40m QSO with different continent 3 points per 20/15/10m QSO with different continent
    2 points per 160/80/40m QSO with same continent different country
    1 point per 20/15/10m QSO with same continent different country
    4 points per 160/80/40m QSO between stations in NA, different country
    2 points per 20/15/10m QSO between stations in NA, different country
    1 point per QSO with same country

That said, if a station is calling CQ DX and they are in the US, you should probably not both trying to call him/her.
    T