ad: Alphaant-1

DX Engineering visits the NEW 2017 Hamvention® venue.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Aug 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps certain towns are more prone to tornados due to the contour/trough/hills/etc of the region. It seems that crescent city, ca has always had more than its share of damage when Japan has a tsunami. I suppose Bonnie Crystal may have a good point that Zenia might be more likely than Dayton to take another hit. All the "Damned Lies and Statistics" may have confused me. Hihi 73

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Xenia is no more tornado prone than most places in the midwest. It is fatuous to maintain that it is more prone than Dayton, less than 20 minutes away. If you include shear and winds, not just rotational winds, damage from storms is certainly no different in Xenia than most places in the US.

If your paranoia runs that deep, then don't ever venture into the midwest or south of the US, at all.

Heck, we had a tornado pass (skip is more accurate) over this location--Bedford MA-- on Sunday: moderate damage about 10 miles away. And a tornado hit my house--in Belmont,MA--in 1999.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but it sure looked like it.

Sure a lot of negative vibes. DARA is scrambling to do the best they can, and a year is not much time to start over on an event this big. Will it be perfect the first year? Probably not. But it won't suck, either. I have faith they will put on a great event.

If you are so worried -- stay at the house. I'm sure the folks who avoided Hara Arena will gladly offset your attendance. Otherwise, bring a raincoat, take your meds, and try to have a good time.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No tornados in Crest, but we do get high winds being on top of a hill. Blew down the North tower with 16 guys on it. Now I Have logger ropes holding down the East and West towers!! A plane could fly into them and they would tear off the roof before the tower would fall!

Going to Dayton is always extremely risky. Every time I went, there was a Tornado along the route somewhere. One year it tore up Joplin, the next it was OK CITY, then Tulsa got it. Most dangerous place on Earth!!!!
    Earthquakes???? They are just laughers!!! but TORNADOS are serious business!!!
    I dare the Earthquake gods with the way I have equipment piled up!! Never has anything fallen down whatsoever!!!

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not happy about the Flea market being on a grass field! Even if the Daytonmobiles can roll over it, if it rains hard, there is going to be HUNDREDS of TOW TRUCKS needed to get all the cars out of the mud mire!!
    Wonder what the fairgrounds thinks about having their nice grass field all chewed up?

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck of a lot better than walking, standing or even sitting on hot asphalt. If you don't like the grass you should go the Ft Wayne Hamfest that is held inside of the Memorial Coliseum, its a yearly event in November.

7. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, how did you get "paranoia runs that deep" out of my post ? I am not even worried, except for others, as I never had any plans to attend anything in Ohio. Actually, the bigger problem would be your comment about the need for "cologne showers" at the entrance. The guy from the Navy who sleeps in his car might be another. All in good fun, sir !! Hams are super intelligent (much more than myself and the average Joe) but can be a bit, well, off the beaten track. ,,,, ,, ,,,, ,, I saw the damage in Concord, MA on the news, pretty spectacular and amazing that nobody was hurt. Nice one, including your name in the description. 73

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope to CU at Hamvention.

Chip W1YW

9. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, I apologize about my mistake regarding your name. I woke up this morning at 0330 and my first thought was "uh his name is not Skip". Sorry about that chief. No Hamvention for me, too much trouble, I am not much of a traveler. Maybe Pacificon in San Ramon CA. Hopefully no earthquakes. I remember some of the things you have said because I value your opinions. Take it easy. 73

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope to CU sometime OM.:)

Chip W1YW

11. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the statement about driving on grass is from my personal experience. They do make portable scooters which are designed to be driven on grass and these scooter cost in the neighborhood of 4K$ and they have higher ground clearance and knobby tires as mentioned earlier. In my experience the two worse thing to drive across on a normal scooter like those rented at the Hamvention is grass and then cobblestone. If you are like me where a previous back injury is the reason I use a scooter, the jostling and bumps of a scooter on grass in just to painful.