DX Engineering DXE400MAX Cable?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA7PRC, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Has anyone had any DIRECT experience with DX Engineering DXE400MAX cable? This is their version of Davis RF's Buryflex400. I'll soon be buying a 500' spool of something LMR400UF-ish and I'm interested in hearing anything bad (or good) about the quality of their cable.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

I CAN HELP by telling you I have absolutely never used the stuff.:)

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

It is private labeled coax. Three guesses who made it, and two don't count!

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Oh, a wise guy, eh?! Here... walk into this! [sticks out two fingers] :p

You answered a question I didn't ask. I don't care who makes it. I care ONLY about the quality.

5. WB2WIK

I can't comment on the quality because I've honestly never used their cable.

However you discussed LMR400UF'ish cable, and the DXE cable linked isn't "UF" type at all; it has a solid center conductor. (UF has stranded.)

I looked at the DXE website to see if they had "UF" type cable like this, and I didn't see any.

6. NO8D

NO8D Platinum Subscriber

Hi, Bryan -

We would be happy to send you a 5 foot length for your perusal and for your use. No obligation on your part.
    You won't be charged and you don't need to return it.

I will send them a copy of this message and if you like you can call in the morning to order it.

Paul
    NO8D

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

This sure looks like it says it's stranded:

Thanks but that's not what I asked.

Again, I want to know ONLY about personal experience from end-users of this cable.

8. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member

No personal experience with it Bryan, but DX Engineering has a good reputation in my circle of Ham Friends. I could not imagine DX Engineering compromising the good reputation they enjoy in the Ham Radio Community by selling a POS Cable.

9. WB2WIK

Thanks for the correction! I didn't click on the "tech info," and was going only by the photograph which clearly shows a single solid conductor. The "tech info" is hopefully correct, and it does show the cable is stranded.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Also, when I called today, I was told the jacket is UV-resistant (the tech info doesn't state that). It's kinda important for an outdoor cable. Yes, even here in the "overcast" Pac NW. ;)

Not that they would sell junk but, I'm looking for some reassurance from end-users. I checked eHam for reviews (none found).

11. WB2WIK

They did say it's Type III polyethylene, which is UV resistant.

I'd assume it's fine, but haven't used it.

Obviously, DXE doesn't manufacture coax; but then neither do most of the people selling private branded cables. There aren't that many facilities in the U.S. (or maybe even the world) who manufacture coaxial cable. Here, most is manufactured by a dozen or so companies and they all private label for others.

For a good hint about who really "makes" the cables, check MIL-C-17 and its QPL.

12. WB2WIK

BTW, if this is for HF (and not VHF-UHF) I'd stick with solid dielectric cables which are so much more "robust" in construction. I use RG213/U up to 150-200 feet on HF, after that I switch to RG218A/U, and if I really want low loss and "bulletproof" cable, RG17A/U.

LMR400 is great stuff but it's more fragile than I'd like. I do use it on 70cm and it works well, but on HF RG213/U has nearly the same loss and it's stronger stuff.

Don't "pinch" LMR400 between tower sections on a telescoping tower, it won't take that even once, for one second, by accident.:)

13. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Didn't know (forgot) that. Thanks.

I'd bet NONE of the private-label cables are made in-house. I've been using Buryflex 400 and LMR400UF for years without problem. I don't drive on it so, it works fine. The DXE stuff appears to be the same at a significantly lower cost (and no shipping charge), compared to other house-brand LMR400UF.

I s'pose if it turns out to be junk, I could use it to make 'special' CB patch cables and put 'em on eBay. ;)

14. WB2WIK

I doubt it's junk. It may be made by Times (although I have no idea, really).

But if you decide to eBay the CB patch cables, don't forget to say it's "oxygen free, high conductivity copper" that has 6 dB "audio gain" (whatever that is). Seems to work.

15. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

I'm a firm believer in if a product wants to compare it's self to something I always buy the real thing and know what I'm getting. I have used quite a bit of LMR-400DB and LMR-400UF buy both buy the 500' spool have never disappointed. On longer runs of VHF I use 7/8" hard line I do use LMR-400 on longer runs of HF also and have 175' of the DB going to my HF vertical.

If you shop you can get good prices I think I bought my last 1000' from Texas Tower they had the best price at that time.

16. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

Everything that DX Engineering sells is top of the line. Quite a few of those items are private labeled. Other than the coax, another good example are the coax prep tools. They are not inexpensive, but quality never is. My hat is off to Paul, and the other folks at DXE, because private labeling tends to reduce the cost to the end consumer. That's always a good thing.

My previous remark wasn't meant to be derogatory, but apparently was taken that way. I'm sorry about that, but some things in life are so glaringly evident, asking any question about them is redundant.

17. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

TT has one of the highest prices on LMR-400UF. It has a rubber jacket that's not so UV-resistant. This is why I'm not considering TT or LMR-400UF. Since the highest frequency will be ca 30MHz and L ≤ 100' , there's no need to use anything better than what I'm looking at.

No offense taken, Alan. You just answered a question I didn't ask. Since I never install more than a few connectors at a time and I'm never in an all-fired hurry, money spent on prep tools is a waste of money (for me).

Again, I'm looking ONLY for information about the quality of DX Engineering #DXE400MAX cable, from actual users. Anyone???

18. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member

I understand, 500 feet is a lot of cable to buy, not to mention the work of burying it.

19. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

"TT has one of the highest prices on LMR-400UF. It has a rubber jacket that's not so UV-resistant. This is why I'm not considering TT or LMR-400UF. Since the highest frequency will be ca 30MHz and L ≤ 100' , there's no need to use anything better than what I'm looking at" Quote

Well it wasn't when I bought mine when I buy I usually buy for several others and a club it makes a difference.

I use LMR-400UF when going around the rotor and from the coax ground inside to the shack 45' there alone straight LMR-400 for the rest. Coax is cheap if price is a major factor I guess Radio Shack could come into play. It takes the same amount of labor to do a job using cheap or higher quality components being paint, car parts, tires it's the amount of return for the dollar I guess. I've been in business all my life and have followed that model after a few years of starting 30 yrs ago.

20. W0HC

W0HC Ham Member

Well, if the OP isn't interested in a sample of the coax, I'd sure take one. I generally use nothing but Times-Microwave cable when I need a LMR400 type coax. I'd love to compare the two side by side to see how they compare physically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.