ad: chuckmartin

DX Engineering Acquires Clifton Laboratories

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DX Engineering Acquires Clifton Laboratories
    http://www.dxengineering.com/techar.../dx-engineering-acquires-clifton-laboratories

For decades, Clifton Laboratories has been at the leading edge of Ham Radio technology, making preamplifiers and filters with unparalleled performance characteristics. Now, that tradition of quality will continue under the DX Engineering brand. DX Engineering recently acquired exclusive rights to Clifton Laboratories’ Amateur Radio gear.

Each item’s part number, design specs, and impeccable quality remains the same—it will just be built by DX Engineering and carry the DX Engineering name. There are over a dozen Clifton Laboratories Amateur Radio products that will be manufactured, including several popular filters and preamplifiers. DX Engineering is also committed to offering parts and tech support for owners of Clifton Laboratories’ legacy products.

Fans of Elecraft’s K-series transceivers are very familiar with the Clifton name. The company has a series of filters, preamplifiers, adapters and other enhancement products tailored precisely to these well-liked HF radios. DX Engineering will ensure that this Elecraft-specific gear will be refined and supported.

Also included in the transition is Clifton Laboratories’ extensive range or RF filters, like its Z10020 medium wave band reject filter. Designed for Amateur Radio operators battling interference from strong or nearby AM broadcast band commercial radio signals, the Z10020 can deliver up to 80 dB of signal rejection.

DX Engineering is tooling up to begin production of Clifton Laboratories products, expect to see the full line available by mid-summer 2016.

VE1KED, KE4YMX, AK4QR and 2 others like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Nice to see the Clifton Lab products will live on.

AF6LJ and AK4QR like this.
  3. AK4QR

AK4QR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is good news indeed, To create a panadapter I have the Buffer Amp in my ICOM 7410
    73s de AK4QR

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

DX Engineering rocks.

[​IMG]

Rock on.

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

By tooling up, does this mean lining up cheap non-USA located source to make if for next to nothing relative to the US dollar or will this product be built in USA?

WB6DGN likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

[edit for clarity] That's really mean and snarky phrasing. ;0

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

More likely it will follow the rest of the DXE products; higher prices and no schematics released to buyers which forces them to return items for repair.

8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Reality and truth are not sugar coated...........

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately Yes.

EDIT:
    Actually in the case of buying Pixel's active loop antenna the price has not changed.
    I have had my eye on the Clifton high pass filter (to reject the BCB) we will see if the already steep price goes up or not...

10. KA0HCP

You will be pleased to know that rumor has it they will be using overpaid, obese, slovenly, untrained American workers who are so uneducated they can't spell "QA"! :) Great news!!

Foreign made doesn't mean cheap and shoddy; American made doesn't mean quality. You could simply have asked in a neutral tone "Are they keeping production in the US or sourcing overseas?", instead of being so snarky.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  11. KA0HCP

Even MFJ hasn't posted schematics online for several years and won't provide schematics for discontinued products. Manufacturers are learning not to give away their designs to the Chinese in order to have their business undercut.

12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Not my problem you are shocked by reality then lash out at your fellow Americans to defend your lack of what ever.

13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Really.......

14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The Chinese are superior at reverse engineering anything if there is a market.

15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You are 100% correct. I do competitive analysis and the quality of the Chinese made stuff is shockingly better than ours for some products. They are able to "brite dip" aluminum parts so the anodize finish is nice and shiny, well, try to find an anodizer in the USA that can do that. Anodize shops tell me no because of the chemicals involved are banned and way to dangerous to (humans/animals/other)............this is just one drop in the bucket.