DX and Geography

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W3HIZ, Oct 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3HIZ

W3HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good day everybody,
    I have just retired and now have time for my life long hobby of amateur radio.
    Ever since I was a kid I have always loved learning about world geography and cultures.
    I was hoping that perhaps some one could suggest a site where I could learn about these after working DX.
    Thanks for your time today.
    73 de W3HIZ
    Wayne

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think a simple google search of the country you worked with a few keywords - something like "ducie island history and culture" - would give you a plethora of reading opportunities. A lot will point you towards wikipedia which is not a definitive source but it is a decent collection of information.

W5BIB, KP4SX and N7WR like this.
  3. W3HIZ

W3HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that instead of looking for a worldbook type of site.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When our kids were young, a very long time ago, I used to ask dx stations to send me info about themselves and/or their qth's. This was the pre-internet era. Most of the time I would get their qsl cards with a postcard and some description of whatever was on it. Every once in a while I would get a response that looked like it came from the local tourism board :) A whole bunch of info on the area or country.

I'm not sure who enjoyed it more - me or the kids (though at times they did take some to 'show & tell' in school)

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I was sent the bus schedule for Caracas, Venezuela.