DX-100

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N3DT, Jan 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't I see any restorations or sales of this Heathkit? It was pretty nice as I remember. It was the first TX I heard myself on SSB and I couldn't stop laughing.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

If it had symmetrical sidebands then it should be heard on either upper or lower sideband.

If you want one put a listing on QTH or one of the other listing sites.

Phil
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
    Boat anchor junkie and fan of SGM. [​IMG]

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I see them at hamfests all the time. Shipping can be a deterrent. Personally, I like the look and feel of the Heathkit TX-1 (Apache) a lot more. I still have mine that I built back in the "good of days".

4. W0MPM

W0MPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one in process of restoring. Have come to loath working on it because when the chassis is out of the box the mechanical design is flimsy given the weight. Prone to damaging the front panel or breaking tubes on end. Can't have it upside down what with the VFO box (and tube) sticking up.

The mechanical design is atrocious. That 90 degree drive to VFO band change is clever and stupid. There's one retaining nut for the VFO box that just isn't going to be replaced (by me). The front panel should have been at least braced.

Yes, agree totally with Pete it's so heavy that shipping is out of the question with relation to value. They do weight almost exactly 100 pounds.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I wasn't implying that it's some favorite of mine. I just remember it was rather popular when I was in high school. Yes, it is heavy and appeared to have the same sort of cover as the DX40 which in itself was rather flimsy, making the 100 even more so. I just haven't seen much interest in them and there's probably a good reason for that.

I've got an Apache that I bought years ago and the VFO was so bad I sort of lost interest in it. I've got a couple of the sideband adapters that go with it too. When I was in the Army in Monterey, CA at the Language School, there was a ham station set up there that had the Apache and what was the companion RX, the Mohawk? I would use it once in a while, no one else ever used it as I remember. It was a pretty nice station for the period, early 60's.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Both the DX-100 and DX-100B have very sturdy cabinets, considerably heavier than the DX-40.

When properly constructed, the VFO, in the TX-1 Apache, is very stable especially when compared with most of the equipment from the same time period.

Almost all of the transmitters from the 1950s and well into the 1960s did not have any bracing of the front panel including the Collins 32V- series, the Johnson Ranger and Valiant, and so forth. To work on them one needs to put the transmitter on its side. In fact, such is really what needs to be done on most equipment, including the Collins S-Line and Heath SB-Line, to keep from damaging the tubes, etc.

There is another thread in this forum about the information, for the DX-100, that I have available. That information can be found at the following URL:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/de13bc22f82...50C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I had a DX-100 back in the 1960s and have another one right now. There are also 3-each TX-1 Apache transmitters and an HX-10 Marauder around as well as an RX-1 Mohawk. One of the Apache transmitters and the Mohawk receiver are at my Heath original "twins" location.

Glen, K9STH

7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Apache did have a small brace on the right side (when looking at front) between the front panel assembly and the VFO box. Generally when I work on the underside of my Apache, I place a 2X4 between the large transformers in the back and the workbench. Top edge of the front panel rests on the workbench. The front panel is rigid enough not to cause a problem. Been doing this for 50 plus years.

8. K9STH

There was an article, in one of the amateur radio magazines, about a weird problem with the Apache VFO that was cured by removing the brace from the VFO and installing a longer brace to the actual chassis.

Glen, K9STH

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just couldn't get my Apache VFO to stop drifting. Maybe I was expecting too much, or the tube was bad, I never did figure it out. I should try again, or turn it into a transistor circuit.

10. K9STH

DT:

Are you leaving the Apache plugged into the AC mains or just plugging it in and then checking the drift?

All but the earliest production units of the TX-1 Apache have a small filament transformer connected directly to the AC input that does not go through the power switch. This transformer supplies heater ("filament") voltage to the 6AH6 VFO tube all the time which, in turn, makes the VFO considerably more stable. The line cord needs to be plugged in for a couple of hours before any checking of drift should be attempted.

Heath supplied, at no cost, a suitable filament transformer to be installed in the earliest versions of the transmitter.

Also, is the VFO tube a 6AH6 or 6AU6? Again, the very early TX-1 Apache transmitters came with a 6AU6 VFO tube. The 6AU6 was replaced with a 6AH6 which results in a considerably more stable VFO. No modifications are needed to use the 6AH6 and, because of slightly different cathode - plate capacitance, only the capacitors, that are used in the calibration process, have to be slightly adjusted to maintain absolute calibration of the VFO.

Glen, K9STH

N2EY likes this.