Dumb Noob question...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KI7HSB, Dec 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no height sweet spot, unless you operate one band only. Good dxing height is related to wavelength and topography. A 60' antenna on 15m may work fine with good takeoff topography, but its definitely too low for a competitive shot of 10k-12k miles on 40m. Very competitive dxers sometimes use multiple heights (per band) to excellent advantage. "Sweet-spot" has some meaning considering bang for the budget, but doesn't well accommodate the needs of an electromagnetic field.

The best rule-of-thumb I ever heard fifty years ago, when new to dxing, was "use at least one wavelength high if possible." Since then I've used heights from 0.2 wavelength indoor height to 1.7 wavelength outdoors, and several heights in between. The effects of height were astounding at times.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Dublin CA hills. 2009/2010. Maybe a couple hundred ft above the rest of the town. Backyard ground mounted PAC-12 vertical with 4 radials on the lawn. 50 watts. 20 meters. I was always booming into s. Cook Islands, Chile, etc. HAAT matters. Those were good times.
    Not even on the air now. No antennas.

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing you've got to love about hams is when they don't understand the context of the post (or don't take the time to understand it) and immediately jump into a lecture.

I was hoping he could get higher than 35 feet.

You took it upon yourself to correct me, then reworded what I said. DX from different areas comes in at different heights/angles. That is the "sweet spot" I was referring to.

Like I said... gotta love hams.

KI7HSB likes this.
  4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm new here, but I've already noticed that people do have a hard time staying on-topic in a thread on this site... And there's more than a handful of know-it-alls that just can't help but try to impress you with their vast knowledge of things that weren't a part of the OP's question.... :p

KE0EYJ likes this.