ad: Prosistel-1

Dumb Noob question...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KI7HSB, Dec 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every time I see a Hex Beam I wonder how it would stand high winds and icing. If the OP is in WA I dont think that icing is a problem. The good part about them is that they cover a lot of bands. A vertical can be great for DX as was said - depending on your terrain and the angle you can see of the horizon.

2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The 20m/15m yagi used here since 1989 (28 years), was created using materials from commercial Hy-Gain components, but not Hy-Gain dimensions. I chose my own balun. Twenty years into use, one of the plastic end-caps split and slid towards the tip of the driven element. I repaired the cap from the roof, then put ant back into operation. During this period we've had at least six ice storms, oceans of rain, and 50 mph winds. Normally it works at 60' height, but when forecasts show wind in excess of 40mph, I typically crank down to less than 30'.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Parts of WA and OR definitely get icing.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My buddy in eastern Oregon has occasional problems with ice on his antennas... I'm in the Puget Sound where that sort of thing is rare due to the generally warmer climate.

5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

People elsewhere think the climage is the same everywhere in the Pacific Northwet. Eastern WA and OR are a different world... drier... greater temperature extremes... much colder Winters w/ more icing.

13 mi south of you near Silver Lake, I've never had an icing problem. Howwever, my 9 el 40/20/15/10m HF yagi at 72' AGL has seen plenty of windstorms that would've trashed a wire yagi. In most of my 47 years as a ham, I've had a yagi. A wire beam might be OK, if it's not too high and is shielded by trees. My yagi isn't.

Bryan WA7PRC
    http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower

7. KI7HSB

8. KI7HSB

THAT is a mighty fine looking heater you got in your back yard. My friend in PDT has a similar crank up US tower that's just laying on a trailer... We've discussed the possibility of making a deal on it in the future, but not until I retire and move home to Idaho where I can stand something like that up. Just 4 years to go!

Right now I am working on setting up my first tower in Marysville and it will likely be a simple 35' Rohn if its even that tall. Though the city planners have been very nice and encouraging of my installing one, they are also pretty strict on limiting factors such as height, setback and a very over protective wind load certification of 110mph 3 sec sustained. I have zero room for guy wires, so whatever I get must be self supporting and I can only get a wall bracket up about 11-13 feet above ground.

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No possible way to get any higher? I find the DX sweet spot to be about 6 to 8 floors up, or 50-75 feet.

I'm blessed with builiding height to work off of, here in Korea. About 40' of it, with a flat roof that's 10mx15m, approximately. There are two steel laundry posts about 5' up, which I have mounted all manner of homebrew antennas to, using 12m tall HD Fiberglass mast poles from Spiderbeam.

I also have a 10 story building to work off of, at my workplace -- also with a flat rooftop and garden, and an outdoor lounge built into the side of the building at 5 floors up.

First thing I've learned -- there is no substitute for height, if you want to work DX, and the DX actually receives better at different heights (think stacked yagis, for example).

Second thing I've learned -- a simple 2-el yagi is 75% of the way to a 3-el, and if that's all you can put up, then by gosh, put up the 2-el. It's so worth it to do so, I cannot even begin to describe it. DX you never heard before just appears out of thin air. Your 100w of power becomes the transmitted equivalent of about 300 to 350w.

Of course, a 3-el is better, but if you can get a 2-el 20 feet higher, because it's lighter, I'd rather have the 2-el antenna. Maybe that means a 20m monobander. I have a 20m moxon, which is wide-banded enough to work 17m without much loss on LMR400 coax, when tuned. My external tuner will also tune it down to 15m, and I can work midrage to stronger stations out to at least 5,000 miles, even with the loss.

10. KI7HSB

No, Not really. The city will allow me to go up to 75', but their safety demands make it impossible to go that high on my property because I don't have the space to install guy wires.

To get over about 30-35 feet would require a self supporting tower and one that big that is beyond my finances. All this will change when I retire in 4 years and move out of the city and back to the rural area that I grew up in. There I will have the space to put up a 60-100' tower. Till then, this is all I can do.