Dumb Noob question...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KI7HSB, Dec 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Setting up my station... Antenna, tower, rotator, etc... Have not absolutely decided on the antenna yet. Wanted to go with a Yagi, but a friend has just about got me sold on a Hex-Beam instead. My main interest is in DX.

Question: Is there any benefit in having an adjustable elevation feature on my rotator, or is that a feature that's only useful for EME or Satellite work?
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I have a Hex Beam in the back yard here, 6-20m, works nice, not as good as a large yagi, but light and simple.

I bought mine from NA4RR Roger.

I bought a different companies 1:1 balun, but he does sell a balun kit.

I can not think of a reason to use a EME type rotator.

I took a bunch of photos wiht my cheap cell phone when putting my NA4RR Hex beam together.

Published on Sep 12, 2014
    I bought the NA4RR hex beam kit, and put it together over the last couple of days. I painted the fiberglass spreaders poles a few weeks ago. I put it together all alone; a second person would be a Very helpful thing. ;) Work Smarter...... Heads up if you buy the NA4RR kit; the optional balun is also a Kit, you will need some rg-213/rg8U/ low loss 400/ size coax with No pl-259 on it, to go through the Solid ferrite beads. A 90 degree pl 259 is also a good idea. I also was glad to have here, a double male pl-259 to go from the balun to the 90 degree, adapters are always a good idea to have spares of. I could not find a spare hunk of coax, so I used a 1:1 balun RF Isolator I had bought at Dayton Hamfest instead. I used GE Silicone caulk along the tubes on the base just to act as a vibration dampener. Do take your time and be Careful. I had 3 ropes holding the mast pipe when it was at an angle, the supporting saw horse did move once, and the ropes kept the mast from falling down. I have the thing guyed off on 4 spots not 90 degrees apart; but what was easy to use. 73 K2HAT :)
    K9ASE likes this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I would rather go with an aluminum element yagi than a hex beam but part of my reason is high winds and lots of ice loading. As for elevation rotation capability on HF no. SAT and EME yes, HF no
    WA7PRC and W4IOA like this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the end it depends on several factors:

1) What is your budget
    2) What kind of operating to you want to do

If I had 40ft of Rohn 25 and had to choose between a small tribander and a hex beam, I would probably go with the hex.

If I was putting up 80ft of Rohn 45 and a real budget I would put something bigger up if I could afford it something like a Force-12 or JK antenna for the high bands, some monobander (maybe a shorty forty) for 40 meters and an inverted V for 80.

The Hex Beams aren't bad antennas, and they are very popular because they are lightweight and easy to rotate with a TV rotator and from my minimum experience using one at NX5M it doesn't have to be all that high to have fun with it.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

No need for adjustable elevation.
  6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a great video :)
    K2HAT likes this.
  7. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

A good well built yagi will stay up forever, I can recommend M2, solid mechanical construction, also the Skyhawk was made by Bencher.

Hex beam is nice, but consider the forward gain, FB ratio etc.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd choose a yagi because of ice. An A3S is a good lightweight yagi. Then I'd find a used GAP Titan later for the other bands. That combo worked great for me in Oregon
    WA7PRC likes this.
  9. K5RTR

K5RTR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a psk-31 contact the other day with a ham in Spain with 30 watts sent to a second-hand Hustler 5-BTV. It boils down to how much time and money you have to invest. Just remember, ANY antenna is better than NO antenna.
    KI7HSB and WF4W like this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

every situation is different - you're lucky that you're in a location where a elevated, directional antenna is possible. However, do not discount the effectiveness of a ground mounted vertical with a decent radial field. I have a Hustler 6btv with about 60 radials - with this antenna I have worked 180 DXCC entities and achieved DXCC on CW, SSB, DIGI, 15m, 20m, & 40m. . . all within 10 months. I'm not bragging, just using my own experience to show that you dont NEED a gain antenna atop a tower to successfully work DX.

There are limits though - from my location I have a VERY difficult time being heard in China, Korea, India, and other East Asia countries - perhaps a hexbeam or yagi would help me but unfortunately my wife and HOA (in that order) do not allow towers & visible antennas.