drawing schematics

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4LGS, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N4LGS

N4LGS Ham Member QRZ Page

anyone know where to download a program that will insert tubes, resesters, caps etc---?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure what resesters are, but for many years I've just used Visio for most of that.

It's easy.

But there are simple CAD programs that might do a better job and are either free or nearly free.

3. N4LGS

tks! sorry about the spelling! was in a hurry!

4. N4CR

N4CR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Kicad on Linux. It's got a learning curve, but show me a CAD program that doesn't.

Once you have the schematic built, you can assign parts sizes and perform component layout and board design. It's pretty amazing.

5. N4LGS

sorry windows only ! tks!!

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a 2-part question.

You will need a drawing program that can also handle printing, etc.
    THEN you will need a library of symbols that you will be using.
    This is important IF you will be drawing legacy symbols (tubes, gaseous regulators, etc.)

7. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bing or google EXPRESS PCB or EXPRESS SCH. Out standing programs with a direct tie to the pcb maker. When you get it done if you want pcb's you have a quote in about 10 seconds.

8. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

9. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Eagle cad has tubes in it's parts bin.

The gEDA spice suite is a little more of a pain to use, but once you've drawn up the schematic, you can then run simulations to test your design. It works better than you might think ;)

73 m/4

10. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using WinDraft and WinBoard for years. All of the artwork in the old Communications Quarterly Magazine was done using my WinDraft software. At one time NTE was selling the product, but it may be discontinued now. I'd look online for a free download with a
    limited "pin" count.

Pete

11. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

I use ExpressSCH and created my own vacuum tube cells. I also made some for other devices that I prefer over the ones they offer.

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also use ExpressSCH, it works good, and is free. You can create your own components, if they are not in the library.

13. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The common technical term is “schematic capture” and as pointed out by others it can be combined with circuit PCB layout or circuit simulation.
    The catch is – sometime it locks you into vendors circuit fabrication.
    And as always – size does matter is some free software also! HI HI HI
    You need to plan ahead what is you ultimate goal.

14. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for express PCB, the simplest, easiest to learn, and most versatile schematic program out there, and its free. You can easily make any type symbol you want with it. This is a simple example of what it can do.

[​IMG]

15. AL4S

AL4S Ham Member QRZ Page

16. N4LGS

Tks. I have downloaded it and it works fine. I only find triode and pentode tubes in it. I think I need to do some more digging around in the program.

17. N4LGS

Nice program, but no tubes!

18. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Billy -

That is the problem that I have had with these programs -- narrow focus of component libraries.

I have used Express PC for common solid state and passive components, but for vacuum tube era work -- you really have to start building your own component library.

When you deal with "just released" ICs, you have the same problem -- but on the cutting edge.
    This was really troublesome when the "new" USB bridge chips came out over past decade.

You will either end up using a few packages -- or selecting best fit and building out the library for those items missing.

w9gb

19. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tube Pin-outs

Does the New ARRL Handbook still have the Vacuum Tube Pin-outs in the back ?

I know that was handy in the good old days. Could use that to build your library.

73 , Happy Easter All.

20. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

For those moving from paper to electronic,
    The TDSL (Tube Data Sheet Locator) Personal Edition provides information right on your PC for a large number of vacuum tubes.
    http://www.duncanamps.com/tdslpe/

w9gb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.