Drake or Kenwood?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4ETR, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-rl
  1. KA4ETR

KA4ETR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking about adding a nice receiver to the shack. Something under a $1000, but still has decent receive capabilities. I'm kind of torn between the Kenwood R-5000 and the Drake R-8. Opinions please? If you'd like to give an opinion on Yaesu & Icom, that's fine. Thanks!

2. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Drake. By a long shot.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd go with the Drake, too; but depends what you want to do with it, really.

For me, I love the sound of old analog boat anchor receivers for AM SW BC reception. Fantastic stability isn't required, and if it drifts a bit it really doesn't matter; the "listenability" is very hard to beat. But most of those are terrible for SSB/CW/digital reception; their forte is AM.

Then, for modes other than AM, most of the modern stuff is much better. The old Drake R-7A is one of the best all-around HF receivers ever, but even if you include a 6 kHz AM filter it still doesn't sound very good on AM. I never had an R-8.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can get a lot of other very competent receivers for under a thousand dollars.

5. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto... You can't go wrong, and you'll never be sorry.

6. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Of all the receivers I have owned, my favorite was a Drake R-4B with the FS-4 frequency synthesizer. Wow.

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

What will be your primary use/mode for the receiver? AM/SSB/CW, data modes? SWBCB DXing? Ham band monitoring, ute monitoring or a combination thereof?

Is computer control a requirement?

8. K2NCC

K2NCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither! Buy a Flexradio. You can get a used Flex 1500 for around $500 and put the other $500 into your antenna or other station goodies.

2011-08-19_172232.jpg

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very smart! I had not even thought about the flex. No brainer....

10. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.