ad: dxeng

downloading and e-mailing qth maps

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WD6EJN, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WD6EJN

WD6EJN Ham Member

I

I'm trying to copy, edit save qth maps.
    I am having a hard time doing this.
    I would like to be able to save the map thats on my look up page and add a compase rose using paint or photo shop.
    Trouble is I can't seem to copy&paste, save maps to any thing lately.
    I want to have a map of my qth for hams to use when visiting the area.
    These library computers are getting very restrictive to use.
    I will try copying to a floppy disc, but I don't think this will work either.
    This is not good if there is an emergency and people need directions.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member

Press the <PRTSCR> key, open Paint and select paste.

3. WD6EJN

WD6EJN Ham Member

It doesn't work, all it does when I go to paint is open additional "paint" windows.
    and nothing pastes.
    I thought of print preview, then trying to get the image from there but no luck.
    the library is simply blockiing a lot of things! one could be here for hours.
    I will have to print the image then add with a pencil or pen the directions then print many copies.
    I'm going to see if I can add things to my qrz lookup map (I think I tried this though).
    I'm going to link or "share" the image to sites then send hams to that site (twitter), but not every body has a smart phone to look this up.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member

I find it hard to believe they would block all that kind of stuff. Just to be clear, you press and release the <PRTSCRN> key on the keyboard, then you open Paint -- then in Paint, click edit, then paste. This should paste the screen capture into Paint.

5. WD6EJN

WD6EJN Ham Member

I'll try it again, all I would need is someone to copy the map on my lookup page then I will try to save it from there (forum page) after checking thread again.
    There is some sort of screen filter that may keep it from save.
    If I try to upload the zoom in of my block it will just send the map web page.

6. WD6EJN

WD6EJN Ham Member

It worked! with the qrz lookup page, just for fun I'll try it with google maps again.

7. WD6EJN

WD6EJN Ham Member

[ATTACH=CON

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. NA7U

NA7U Ham Member

I have good luck capturing images and then editing them with two free programs: MWSnap3 for screen capture, and Photoscape for the editing. The latter is amazingly capable for a free download. It's not a trial version, either, it's the full-on program.

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

Don't forget Gimp. Gimp has a version for Windows, Mac, and Linux and it's free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.