Double Din with ShortWave

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by VK4GAP, Jul 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like this new one i fitted this morning , this years model it seems going by the interweb , to finish off the job i need a top plastic filler thing .

73 and thanks .

1.jpg

N0TZU likes this.
  2. VK4GAP

New Radio , now needs a new antenna to match the sensitivity of the radio which is real good compared to that other deaf thing i had even with the oem whip in both cases .

1st , your looking at my secret men's business shed in there so keep it quite , this is the 1st version antenna just today using bare 2mm multi-strand copper wire , the later versions will be using MIG aluminium wire around .08 -1 mm , it's high tensile so it'll be good .

Later on when i find something suitable i'll install a plastic stick on vertical support of some-kind and place it at the start of the V near the center of roof .

Yet to do any testing at all , like does it whistle on the highway or vibrate , the whip antenna is the standard OEM one that's used out here , made of stainless and solid and atm i have put it under tension to keep the wire off the roof .

Whilst i was making this up i was parked on a classical music broadcast from China some-where up near 13310KHz and in the secret men's business shed , with the OEM whip only was just audible , with the wire added was completely audible and practically noise free IN the shed , i'll state that if i had reversed out-side one could have multiplied that x10 , i knew that so it was not worth it as i want to try it out on the road at a later date .

I'm not sure how well the pictures will show up the wire , at least i have tried .
    Paul .

004.jpg

007.jpg

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice radio, and interesting antenna!

Is that the secret men’s beer cooler along the wall in the first photo?

VK4GAP likes this.
  4. VK4GAP

I can't tell you it's a secret , and if i did tell you id'e have to send the "Boy's" around after .

Whilst i'm here , i reversed out last night to give the 41m band a go , some big solid signals were around , RNZI , AIR , CRI and plenty of others , RNZI (radio new zealand international) was like a local am broadcast it was so strong at 4160Klm/2500Mile away , i guess 20-30 over 9 , china 10 over , all india radio 9 to 10 over , russia 15 over , the seek/scan function seems to stop on a signal of around S3 to S5 at the radio (not at the antenna) just below semi/full quietening , so hunting for low level DX one would be better off manually looking about .

It was getting cool so stopped the quick testing and listening at around 10pm , total 3 hours .

Having no SMeter all a guess above , after years of listening also with Smeter's one gets the feel of signal strength just by the sound of reception , slight noises in the carrier , sound/depth of audio , the overall quietening ect , all correlate .

ps- looking at that picture i see that other radio still on the bench (on the yellow socket box) , next time i'm out there it's in the Bin .

5. VK4GAP

Bare with me , not to many monologues to go , no-one has seen it at night yet , not on the road but out in the back yard again , btw on the road the antenna does not whistle or vibrate at the speed limits so all is well so far .
    Distance is around 8000Klm (5000mile) direct in the short video , sound not so good on the basic digital camera .

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry. Not a chance!!:D

VK4GAP likes this.
  7. VK4GAP

I hope your Male too :p , Right back at ya !

8. VK4GAP

Took a look into the radio yesterday , included pics are low resolution and have pointers on them .
    Most of that stuff on the pcb are specks of dust size .

I could not find a band change area (either a zero ohm link or diode) for AM , i was looking for a above 1700KHz one (max now is 1602KHz).

After looking into the firmware update file i'm guessing it happens all in there due to some reference's to things but it ain't obvious what or where it is .
    A few codes are in there like qxh3562hdt for example in different associated areas , i'm guessing a different code will enable/change/disable things .?

So it all happens in the main ic the ARM STA1080 in where the program and software sits , the arm is a dual cpu thing and also does a lot of other stuff .

Apart from the pcb and the display head the only other thing in there is the CD drive/reader , tons of room/airspace in there .

I could not find any info on the Radio receiver ic , a Q F5701 and what looks like a ceramic filter TXC 9.21 MCLT .

There appears to be 2 antenna inputs to the F5701 , 1 for AM and the other probably for shortwave each having a rudimentary band pass filter , FM seems to disappear down to the bottom of the pcb , too small to look with the gear that i do not have .

Anyway for a basic radio receiver design as far as i'm concerned it works quite well , the other night cruising down the Highway at 65Mph/100Kph listening for a hour or so to a overseas broadcast on 9865Khz was just as good as a local broadcast , not a peep of interference from the engine or vehicle electronics anywhere so far btw .

Paul . 0 top.jpg 0 bottom.jpg RX'r.jpg Input.jpg

N0TZU likes this.