Doppler shift on 432MHz EME

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by ON6KE, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    my name is Gus, I'm 64 and a HAM for 43 years who spent 99,5% of the time on HF. I'm a bit done with HF especially now that we are near the bottom of the solar cycle.

I'm interested in 70cm EME and now gearing up to get everything together.
    I have a question regarding Doppler shift.

When operating JT65B on 70cm what do I do when a station calls me? Do I stay on my original frequency?
    I assume I do otherwise the other station will have to chase me each time when I TX on the Doppler shifted frequency.

When operating JT65B on 70cm what do I do when a station calls CQ? Do I take into account his Doppler shift?

Questions questions. :)

Hope to hear from you guys.
    73, good DX

Gust ON6KE

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are calling CQ and a station answers you, you do not change frequency.

If you want to respond to a station calling CQ, you can calculate the Doppler and correct for it if you choose. It does not need to be perfect. You just want to stay within the receive passband of the station you are calling. So usually +/- 1KHz is fine. If you are calling a DXpedition with many callers you also want to spread out and not call right on the other stations frequencies so you have a better chance of being decoded.

That said, it is my opinion that starting out on 144 MHz is much easier than 432 EME. There are many more stations and more superstations. Once you learn the the basics a transition to 432 becomes much easier. With 100+Watts and one medium,2 to 3 wavelengths, boom-length Yagi you can make some EME contacts on 144 MHz.

3. ON6KE

Hello Harry,
    thank you very much for your input, it is much appreciated.

I've been thinking about 144 a lot but the point is that I'm an apartment dweller with a really small terrace.
    A 3 WL Yagi on 144 is way too long, I won't be able to swing the antenna azimuth wise from my 85 through 280° window. To be able to do that I would have to seriously elevate (EL) the antenna. I'm on the third floor and it's a 4 floor building, lucky for me the people on the 4th don't have a terrace. Even a 2 WL Yagi won't swing if I don't first elevate it to about 40°.

I haven't got my amplifier yet so in the end still going for 144 is possible. Going /P hasn't been withheld as an option for several reasons.
    Oh well I will yet again have to think it over again.

Again thank you.
    73, good DX.
    Gust ON6KE

4. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am sure you can make a few contacts even with 2 WL. A pair of 2WL would be better, but it's worth a try.

/P is a good idea. It will get you away from all the awful noise that buries EME weak signals.

Anyway good luck with your experimenting !

5. ON6KE