Don't let them float away

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB2WIK, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K6ABZ

K6ABZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So the problem is turbulence, which is solved by using a lighter gas. That's very interesting.

I wonder if sealing the drive and keeping a vacuum inside would work even better.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder why they didn't go with hydrogen, which is a good heat conductor. Hydrogen is used in some (most?) big power station alternators, or so I read in the Times.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Too flammable.

5. K8ERV

Picky Picky. And not if sealed.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

One reason, but a hint of worse things for your data. Hydrogen isn't inert and the flammability betrays its willingness to hang out with any of the transition metals. Granted, it is at temperatures much higher than those inside the computer, but who wants lonely hydrogen atoms seeking to bond with the metal on the platter when you can have something that is guaranteed not to be so promiscuous? At the density they're talking, I think there's a very real possibility of affecting data integrity.

Western Digital and its peers are struggling to find cheaper and larger alternatives to SSDs. The article is correct, companies are beginning to move toward using SSDs in diverse locations as opposed to large RAID systems. This is going to leave WD with spinny things no one wants.

7. WB2WIK

We use SSDs in large RAID systems. They're fast, they're quiet, but they still fail.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, the humanity!

9. WB2WIK

Flash! The new "Hindenberg" disk drive, hydrogen-filled, with a "lighting port" on the left side.

Lighter optional.

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I the only one that remembers the Killer POKE?

12. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I know of no (Terrestrial) technology that's foolproof, and failure proof. No matter how fast, how quiet they are , they WILL still fail. SSD may have advantages, but just like Floppy disks, Zip Disks, CD's and hard drives, they will eventually fail.

13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

my concern is two fold.........
    The helium won't stay in the drive, it will leak out in time.
    The gas is a very limited resource here on earth, therefore expensive.
    We used fantastic amounts of it going to the Moon as the gas liquified would generate enough pressure to provide those big Saturn-V engines with enough fuel to get the largest man made object to fly into orbit.

The future in hard drives is in solid state.

14. WB2WIK

Sure they will. Another issue is technology is moving so quickly that even before the parts all fail they may be so obsolete they're incompatible with everything new, so they're fairly worthless!

15. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Every seal breaks down eventually. Especially in harsh environments, like the hot insides of a laptop, or that smartphone in your pocket (I'm sure we'll be seeing smartphones with SSD drives before long).

But wouldn't it be fun to take old, broken-down helium drives and poke a hole in them, breath in the gas, then go talk to the customer about what's wrong with their computer? :D

16. WB2WIK

Nothing sadder than a broken down seal. This one is getting ready to cry.

Attached Files:

17. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess the real question is;
    Do those drives have the Seal of Approval?

18. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't that on the Commodore 64? I'll have to PEEK at my old documents.:rolleyes:

19. K8ERV

As in Poke and Peek?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

20. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

No.
    It was one of the later Pet models, if memory serves. It was a memory location that was written to change something about the video display on the earlier models, but on the later ones it could cause the flyback to flameup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.